Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Meeting Minutes of the documentation team 5/29/2019

Em 30/05/2019 03:53, Luke (gmail) escreveu:
> On 30/5/19 5:40 am, Olivier Hallot wrote:
>> + Graphics:
>>      + Drawings in Draw are objects when embedded in Writer
>>      + Convert OLE object into image
>>          + Use PNG format. JPEG has quality trade-off.
>
> Is this just in reference to a specific guide?  It's surely not a
> general recommendation, I hope?
>
> In Draw you have the full object description. Often the drawing will be
> vector art, or largely vector art.  So preserving that information
> instead of throwing it away is critically important for the use case of
> wanting to produce a printed book, or just a print.
>
> Any bitmap format is lossy WRT the original vector graphics.
>
> May I request, since Writer supports SVG, you save the object as an SVG
> image?  That way the vector parts can stay vector, the image parts as
> image, and it supports transparency too.  (I would have said EPS until I
> remembered it doesn't support transparency in its compositing model.)
>
> Forcing it to a bitmap image type introduces the question of what
> resolution to choose, and then of course the problem that you need a
> high-res if it might be needed for printing but a low-res is all that's
> needed if it never will be.
>
> (I'm assuming in all this that the OLE object - which would allow
> round-tripping with Draw, presumably - is for some reason a problem?)
>
> Regards,
>
> luke
>
> PS:
>
> Office supports its "Windows Enhanced Metafile" image format for exactly
> the reason that it preserves linework, and so you can enlarge or print
> with good quality.

Hi Luke

You are right in principle, if we stay in the LibreOffice editing
environment.

The issue raises when you export to other formats such as mediawiki,
XHTML or EPUB, then the OLE objects are not rendered or requires further
work.

So OLE objects must be kept in their source format for update /
maintenance but converted to images when inserted in a document aimed to
be exported to alien formats.

regards

--
Olivier Hallot