Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Meeting Minutes of the documentation team 5/29/2019

On 30/5/19 5:40 am, Olivier Hallot wrote:
+ Graphics:
+ Drawings in Draw are objects when embedded in Writer
+ Convert OLE object into image
+ Use PNG format. JPEG has quality trade-off.

Is this just in reference to a specific guide? It's surely not a general recommendation, I hope?

In Draw you have the full object description. Often the drawing will be vector art, or largely vector art. So preserving that information instead of throwing it away is critically important for the use case of wanting to produce a printed book, or just a print.

Any bitmap format is lossy WRT the original vector graphics.

May I request, since Writer supports SVG, you save the object as an SVG image? That way the vector parts can stay vector, the image parts as image, and it supports transparency too. (I would have said EPS until I remembered it doesn't support transparency in its compositing model.)

Forcing it to a bitmap image type introduces the question of what resolution to choose, and then of course the problem that you need a high-res if it might be needed for printing but a low-res is all that's needed if it never will be.

(I'm assuming in all this that the OLE object - which would allow round-tripping with Draw, presumably - is for some reason a problem?)

Regards,

luke

PS:

Office supports its "Windows Enhanced Metafile" image format for exactly the reason that it preserves linework, and so you can enlarge or print with good quality.