Re: [libreoffice-documentation] About the LO documentation group join-up process

Howdy,

In line comments

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 12:24 AM Luke (gmail) <luke.kendall@gmail.com>
wrote:

> When I looked at
>
> https://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/join-the-documentation-team/i-want-to-write-technical-books/,
>
> there were just a few things I felt might improve it.
>
> It assumes the reader knows how to join a mailing list. The LO mailing
> lists might be the first one a person has tried to join. And for
> myself, knowing that different mailing list programs have different
> requirements for the subscription/registration process, I personally
> felt uncertain what to do after reading:
>
> "[...] from other volunteers. Subscribe to join the documentation team.
>
> Please register in our documentation mainling list:
>
> documentation@global.libreoffice.org: Discussions [...]"
>
> So I have a few suggestions:
>
> 1. Correct that tiny typo: mainling
>
> 2. Expand it a little to say something like:
>
> "To join the documentation team and help our efforts, subscribe to one
> or more of the mailing lists below. You do this simply by emailing a
> message (any message)[*] to the list you're interested in.
>
> [*] Is that true? Or are there some requirements? I guessed a subject
> line of "subscribe and/or a body that included the word 'subscribe'.

Maybe just a link from that page to
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists which has more details,
as you asked for.

> 3. Perhaps add a PS to that page (or include in the Welcome email), a
> note explaining the etiquette required for this ML.
> Covering stuff like how to include (obfuscate?) email addresses in
> messages, use or restriction on links to personal websites, as well as a
> simple statement about respect and so forth.
>
> (This occurred to me because I almost included a link to my blog in my
> signature, then felt that doing so could well be out of place and seen
> as self-promotion. IMHO Dave Barton's note just now about not changing
> the subject line, to keep messages in a thread, would be a good example
> of one of the etiquette rules.)
>
> Regarding the sign-up process, which also contains the excellent advice
> to browse the ML archives, on the three occasions I visited the link
>
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.documentation
> over the course of a couple of hours, it always failed with an "Error
> 522 Connection timed out". (Ray ID: 4dc62aba5b3a942b • 2019-05-25
> 08:34:22 UTC)
> Ditto just now, which is a couple of days after I first drafted this
> message. From the error page:

Ah - I think GMANE gave up the ghost recently. Thanks for pointing that
out, I've asked the folks on the infrastructure IRC channel to look at that.

Best wishes,

Drew