Where do you want me to start?

Hi Everyone

I once helped out on Open Office back in 2010, and I am a technical author
by trade. I'm looking for something to do a couple of hours a day or in the
week while I'm job hunting. I don't mind tackling the most complicated
stuff either. I've downloaded the latest version of LibreOffice, so just
let me know where you want me to start.

I won't be able to attend the documentation team meetings though because I
have to help out in library hours and my local one is shut at 7pm on
Wednesdays.

Hi Claire,

First, welcome to the documentation team and to say your input and
contribution as a technical author will be greatly appreciated.

If I may, I would like to offer a couple of tips and pointers. Although
I am replying to your first post of the 29th. I will be responding to
your 3 subsequent posts on that date.

Joining the team meetings is a good thing but not critical, Jean Weber
who you probably know from OpenOffice.org days is still one of our top
contributors, but the meeting time is not convenient for her Australian
time zone. Likewise, the new USA East Coast meeting time is the early
hours of the morning in my time zone, so I can never attend.

In your 3 subsequent posts you refer to attachments. The TDF have not
moved into the modern world and dictate a PLAIN TEXT ONLY posts and NO
ATTACHMENTS policy. Thankfully, they have allowed us to create
documentation with a word processor, rather than a quill pen and parchment.

You say you have downloaded the "Latest" version of the software, which
suggests you have either version 6.2.3 or 6.1.5 and you are comparing
against the Getting Started User Guide documentation contributed for
version 6.0.2

Your review of the published documentation is appreciated, but at the
present time no provision exists to either quickly update published
documents, or to record these reviews for consideration/inclusion in the
next revision of the guide(s). I will be submitting a proposal to the
next team meeting to set up a provision to utilize these "Your
Documentation Is Wrong" inputs for the benefit of contributors who take
on the revision of the User Guides in future.

In your 3 subsequent posts you refer to items being out of date, or not
appearing in your version of the software. Considering the speed of
development/updating of the software, being out of date is almost a
given. In the case of the Getting Started Guide for V6 we attempted an
experiment to speed up the development of that guide, which resulted in
a mixture of OS captures and inconsistent styling.

As a team we are mow concentrating on revising/updating the Calc User
Guide (the most demanded of all our published guides) and this is where
I feel you could make a useful contribution. If Olivier has not already
done so, I ask him now to create an "Own Cloud" account for you, so that
you can become actively involved in the guides revision/update/review
process.

As a starting point you might wish to grab and review one of the Calc
chapters Jean revised/updated, or if you have masochistic tendencies :slight_smile:
you could review my revision of Chapter 2. In any case keep in mind that
this guide is for version 6.0, not 6.1 or 6.2. There are a number of
methods by which you can have more than one version of the software
installed or available.

No matter how much time you can spare to contribute, please stay active
by asking questions, making suggestions/recommendations/proposals on
this list.

Best Regards and Good Luck with Job Hunting.
Dave

As a starting point you might wish to grab and review one of the Calc
chapters Jean revised/updated, or if you have masochistic tendencies :slight_smile:
you could review my revision of Chapter 2. In any case keep in mind that
this guide is for version 6.0, not 6.1 or 6.2. There are a number of
methods by which you can have more than one version of the software
installed or available.

Apparently I missed that detail, because all the chapters of the Calc Guide
that I have worked on, I have updated to LOv6.2. And indeed, the folder
I’ve been working in, and the status spreadsheet, are for v6.2.

Jean

-Jean

Sorry, my bad, you are correct. Brain had locked on to the GS Guide,
causing fingers to generate garbage :(.

The point I was trying to make is that we targeted the 6.2.0 release for
the current Calc Guide and there would likely be differences found if
comparing our work in progress against the most recent release versions
6.1.5 or 6.2.3

Dave

I'm waiting for a login as I've only just gone to TDF, so tomorrow I will
start reviewing Calc, but it would help me to know if there are certain
chapters that I should concentrate on, so I'm not duplicating effort.

Kind regards

Claire

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Sorry for the delayed reply.
When you get access to our NextCloud instance you will find a
spreadsheet "/Guide Status.ods/" in the English > Calc Guide > 6.2
folder, which is intended to eliminate duplicated effort. It's unclear
what Drew's progress is with the 3 chapters he checked out. Any of the
chapters with an actual return date have been revised and are available
for review.
Here is a direct link to the spreadsheet:
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/f/78386
You have the choice of either directly updating the spreadsheet on-line
or downloading, editing and uploading. The former method is probably the
most straight forward and convenient.

Best Regards
Dave