Tip Of The Day

We have the awesome daily tip on Twitter and shouldn't withhold this great resource of knowledge to our actual users. So I implemented a tip-of-the-day dialog that pops up once per day when a module is started. There is no sequence and the "Next tip" button and what comes the other day is random (just to not store the last used id). Advanced users can easily disabled the dialog. It will be in the nightly build tomorrow (or the next days).

For now I used the strings from https://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/marketing. But not all tips are up-to-date and it may need some revisions for proper English. I'd like to ask you to go through the list and change the strings or remove, if needed. Of course, additions are also also welcome. For collaborative work it's shared on https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/D6zAC5wddW83xWT

Every string may contain of _one_ hyperlink, which is separated from the text (taken from "http" until the end of the line). Single \ need escaping \\.

Last but not least every tip can have a small illustration (max 120px IIRC; larger sizes increase the dialog width). The first tip searches for tipoftheday_0.png, the second for tipoftheday_1.png etc. If not present, the light bulb from our gallery is shown. I believe those images could be a really cool eye catcher and helpful to get the point of the tip. That's a task for our great designers. Just send me the images or store it somewhere.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Heiko

Howdy,

Great idea.

So, I took a quick scan and noticed a type in tip 28. Fixed it in the pad
but can't get an editable view in NC with the direct link and couldn't find
it doing a quick scan through the shared folders. Can you post where it is
there and I would do that there also.

Best wishes,

Drew

Hello there,

Great idea! As one of the main twitter admins for our project, I would like to invite the docs team to add to our tips database located here: https://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/marketing
Scroll down for the tips.

Thank you,

Charles.

HI Heiko, All

Very good idea and start set of tips.

After browsing some on the bottom I think there should be a minimal set
of rules for writing tips. Here are some out of my mind and not exaustive:

* Do not mention releases at all - older or in future (e.g. "5.3
implements table styles in Writer, try them!" or "Version 5.4 introduces
Pivot Charts")

* Prefix or mention module name where it applies (e.g. cells in Calc or
Writer? Styles in Calc or Writer?)

* Consider writing English for ease of translation. Tips must be translated.

* Avoid cryptic jargon, because readers are end users. E.g do not write
thinks like "You can use UNO command XYZ to instantiate your methods for
reflecting objects with XSpreadsheet interface". This sounds idiot to
end users.

Some other questions...
* Is there a max size for the tip in characters?
* Will the tips be segmented per module (should!)
* Localization of images?

Kind regards

Olivier

Ah! This is a genius idea. :smiley:

Please don't fix the marekting pad. I don't plan to compare this with the document shared on Nextcloud. It's public and everyone with the link should be able to change. If there is an issue the infra team an me are happy to help.

Thanks a lot for creating the initial list,

Heiko

Oops on updating the typo on the pad then, won't happen again!

Also looks like I was wrong about not being able to edit the file on NC,
that does work as Guest.
Updated the typo lifes to lives.

After browsing some on the bottom I think there should be a minimal set
of rules for writing tips. Here are some out of my mind and not exaustive:

Fully agree.

Some other questions...
* Is there a max size for the tip in characters?

IIRC the dialog is resized when the text not fits into the given height. There is no limit in the code - but l10n tools may cut later.

* Will the tips be segmented per module (should!)

The tip is independent from the module meaning you get Calc in Writer and vice versa. I think simplicity is trump here and changing this would make it into a Tip-For-The-Module-Of-The-Day ;-).

* Localization of images?

You cannot provide images per installed localization. And actually I like the British humor too and Brazilian designers are excellent.

Then let's work on it. OS, Browser, any blocking addons? How about being logged-in to TDF?

PS: All changes to the pad will be lost - at least for the internal dialog.

Hello Heiko,

I must be dense but I've looked on NextCloud and cannot find the document. Also, I would like to have one centralized place for tips so if it goes on one place on NextCloud, so be it. But please DON'T ERASE the pad! :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Charles.

Thanks! Do you happen to have the path to the document or is it willingly obfuscated?

Best,

Charles.

Shared the link in the first message here again https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/D6zAC5wddW83xWT
It's LOOL powered so direct editing possible. Access is granted for everyone (just enter an alias first).

I don't dare to touch the marketing board :slight_smile:

It's under resources, here is the direct link https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/apps/files/?dir=/Resources&fileid=63842
Not sure the folder structure is the same for everyone.

Heiko,

Heiko Tietze @ 2019-04-11 18:51 CEST:

Thanks! Do you happen to have the path to the document or is it willingly obfuscated?

It's under resources, here is the direct link https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/apps/files/?dir=/Resources&fileid=63842
Not sure the folder structure is the same for everyone.

That's what I feared. I checked again following the link above and I was not
able to reach the document; in fact I was prohibited from accessing it. This
is why I couldn't locate the document in the folder tree today. Do you think
you could change the permissions on the folder or should we ask Guilhem for help?

Thank you,

Heiko Tietze @ 2019-04-12 08:00 CEST:

...is why I couldn't locate the document in the folder tree today. Do you think
you could change the permissions on the folder or should we ask Guilhem for help?

Permission granted on the folder now.

Cheers,
Heiko

I still cannot access it with the path you gave and a search in the search
bar did not return it. Do you think you could put the spreadsheet under
Common > Documentation or Common > Design ?

Thank you,

Hi Heiko

When translating the tip-of-the-day in Pootle I see "LibreOffice" used
while usually, we employ the variable "%PRODUCTNAME".

%PRODUCTNAME allows branding of the software.

It worth to note that many links points to TDF services such as wiki and
ask... On a branded product, that may create conflicts.

Kind regards

Olivier

The strings are under heavy investigations, translation is a bit too early. What do you suggest about the links?

Well, the strings landed in Pootle and are subject for translation.

Also, translators cannot wait indefinitely. There are quite a number of new
longer help strings that require a lot of translating (more than 500 of
those if not even more). The alpha comes out in the beginning of May the
200+ new tips strings need to be available enough time before the release
to be translated properly.

If these are not production ready, maybe the tips should only land in
6.4/master so you have enough time to polish them in English?

Lp, m.

V V čet., 25. apr. 2019 ob 20:12 je oseba Heiko Tietze <