[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[libreoffice-documentation] Translating Base Handbook from German to English
- Subject: [libreoffice-documentation] Translating Base Handbook from German to English
- From: Dan Lewis <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 09:38:33 -0500
- To: LibreOffice Documentation <email@example.com>
Specifically, I want to translate the Base Handbook v.6.2 when it is ready into English. For personal practice, I want to first translate v6.1 as a practice exercise. To do this, I have obtained the complete version 4.0 in both languages. I will use this to create a translation memory to make my later tasks easier.
I am having a problem understanding what needs to be done and when. 'Using OmegaT for guides translation' web page is not as clearly written as I would like. The individual suggestions I have been sent in emails by very helpful people only makes it more confusing.
I believe that there should be a plan how to do this written in steps: do this and then do this, etc. As such, I am setting forth what I am doing in that form:
1) Download OmegaT and install.
2) Study its documentation:
a) Read it.
b) Apply what is read.
3) Download the German and corresponding English files in ODT format.
Robert: Thank you for providing me with the link for version 4.0 in German; I now have this file.
4) 'Clean' the files using odtclean.py placing the resulting files in the Source folders of OmegaT.
a) de for the German files.
b) en for the English files.
Q: Should the Source folders contain only one file at a time, or can they hold all of the clean files at one time?
5) Before beginning a translation, I will probably need at least file(s) for the Dictionary and Glossary folders.
Q: Who will provide me with them?
6) Follow the steps in 'Adding a 3rd file' in the web page mentioned above.
a) Create a new project in OmegaT.
b) Set the segment displaying so that it shows text only.
c) Copy the old translated guide to the source directory.
d) Now, using the mouse, copy all text for both files and paste it to a new file.
Q: What 'both files' are meant? If the old translated guide is one of them, what is the other one? How are the two files going to be copied? Is the first file copied to the new file and then the second file? Or, perhaps copy one paragraph and then its corresponding paragraph from the second file? [Very confusing!]
e) Download 'aligner' from sourceforge and install.
f) Save the new file as a .txt file, check the alignment of the segment and correct it using this tool and then export it as .tmx file.
Q: What is the purpose of the 'aligner' tool? Can it export the .txt file into the .tmx file? [Again, very confusing!]
7) Translate the German chapter files for Base Handbook v6.1
Perhaps, I am leaving out some steps. If so, please reply with your suggestions entered inline.
To unsubscribe e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/documentation/
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Documentation volunteering
- Next by Date: [libreoffice-documentation] Translating Base Handbook from German to English
- Previous by thread: [libreoffice-documentation] Call for Papers ODE DevRoom at FOSDEM
- Next by thread: [libreoffice-documentation] Translating Base Handbook from German to English