Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Documentation Team Meeting Minutes 2018-12-5

-------- Original Message --------
From: Olivier Hallot <olivier.hallot@libreoffice.org>
To: documentation@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 09:54:52 -0200

> Hello
>
> Em 05/12/2018 17:54, Olivier Hallot escreveu:
>> Nextcloud Comments
>>     + Miss a way to comment files and folders in NC (Dave)
>>        + Saw Comment in NC marketplace (Olivier)
>> AI:    + will look if it can be installed in TDF NC (Olivier)
>
> NextCloud has file and folder comments already installed.
>
> To comment a file or folder click on the ellipsis (...) and select Details
>
> A side pane opens with 3 tabs, Activities / Comments / Sharing
>
> The Comments tab has the feature in a chat-like format.
>
> Kind regards

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the feedback, but I have been aware of and have been using
the commenting facility since we first moved the documentation workspace
to NC. The issue is that NC users are not made aware that a comment
(chat?) exists, unless they open the chat side panel and go hunting for
it. There is a feature that displays a callout icon and some info text
in the directory/file line, which appears ONLY one time when another
user responds to the comment (ie. chat). For example I uploaded a file
for Drew and added a (hopefully useful) comment, when I looked at the
file list first time the callout icon appeared with the word "unread"
next to it. Looking in the same directory at a later time, the same file
list shows zero indication that there was ever a comment (chat)
associated with that file.

It appears that this NC function was designed more as a bit of a "chit
chat" arrangement, not as "real" commenting facility.

What I am suggesting is that if any directory/file comment exists, the
callout (chat) icon will always appear, not just on a one-time basis.
Even though it is not as obvious as the "in-your-face" comment display
of ODFAuthors, it would at least be, IMNSHO opinion, a helpful little
flag for NC users.

Best Regards
Dave