Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Translating Base Handbook into English

On 12/2/18 9:02 AM, sophi wrote:
Le 01/12/2018 à 15:47, Dan Lewis a écrit :
On 12/1/18 2:34 AM, Robert Großkopf wrote:
Hi Dan,

I would like to do this if possible. What I need is documentation at to
how to do it in terms of programs required. Also, what version in German
should be used for translation?
Let us wait a little bit - I 'm just testing how to manage the changing
from HSQLDB to Firebird. The Version for LO 6.2 should contain all these
parts.

You could find the latest version of Base-handbook here:
http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/index.php

There is on the right side of the page a part called
"Bearbeitungsversionen" (version under construction? - my English isn't
the best). I put all new content into this folder.

Regards

Robert
Danke. I will wait then on the actual translating part. I still have
Pootle to learn how to use. Also, Bearbeitungsversionen is translated by
Google as processing versions. I think I would use the phrase as "Draft
versions" since these are the ones that still need to have more work
done on them. Yet I understand what you meant by "versions under
construction."
I don't think will set a project for this translation on Pootle because
you'd need to get the sources as .po files. Projects on Pootle are
related to LibreOffice code or website.
Instead, we have a translation project dedicated to guides on Github
(https://github.com/LibreOffice/OmegaT)
Using OmegaT (https://omegat.org/) will allow you to translate and
commit transparently just buy saving, and allow you to work with a large
variety of file formats (TDF ledgers are translated each month from
German using OmegaT for example)
You will find a short guide here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UsingOmegaT

Let me know if you need further help.
Cheers
Sophie

At least I now know how to install pootle. Now to remove it. Come to think of it, it was OmegaT that I used before. So this week I will be setting this up on my computer. Thanks for the links! I am also thinking that working with  earlier versions of the Base Handbook will help me get an idea of what I should be doing. I seem to remember that having some documents in German and their translations in English will help with future translations. But first to read the information in your links...

Dan