need simple graphic design suggestions

Hi All,

Those of us working on the next Calc user guide would like to establish uniform guidelines for annotating graphics, mostly screenshots. We plan to use Draw to produce arrows/lines with explanatory text.

Of course, we want the annotations to be clear and attractive as well as optimized for the visually impaired.

We are looking for ideas about specific colors and styles of arrows, text, text background, and borders.

Recommendations and examples of best practices would be helpful.

Cathy

Right, so here some bad examples probably.
For one thing the shots are using Linux :wink:

Anyway, these are intended as infographic as opposed to placed on a page in
a Guide, though I did use 300 dpi images.

Both jpeg files below are from LO Writer first one and Draw the second.

Here a graphic (the blue arrow) and a text box used to annotate each of the
screen shots, from outside the image or group of images.
Changing Face Of LibreOffice Calc
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/9DZt4tZMMQ3HFNt

In this one annotation is overlaid on the screen shot image.
Tabbed Notebook Bar Menus
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/taZ8pniaJPRG58f

Anyway, think of this as an ice breaker for the conversation.

I wanted to touch base with you all on this again.

Cathy and I had a chance last Thursday to think of this as we reviewed her
updates and questions on Chapter 1. One of the things that came up was the
question of accessibility and best practices regarding images and ebub
formats.

So, I wasn't sure what exactly was already in the Contributors document and
had the chance to read that over this morning. There is a few paragraphs
covering basics on annotating with a target of the printed page, no mention
of accessibility and electronic publication which I could find. (I didn't
read over all chapters of the book today).

So one question, for example, would be on Alternative text for images and
the epub formats. I was trying to get the Alternative text which I assegned
to a graphic to show up in a pdf, as an example, and having no luck at it.
I didn't try any of the other epub formats and I would be interested if
others know if that works properly there or not?

Thanks much,

Drew