Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Indexing Clarification Needed

HI Milos,

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. It is quite helpful.

From what you describe, this is what I gather about how it works.

* When a word is selected for an index entry, that word/phrase is
automatically inserted in the Entry field in the Insert Index Entry
dialog. It is also given a tag. Index entries for words/phrases with
that tag cannot be different from what is in the text so the
translators can’t change them.
* When the cursor does not highlight a word but rather is next to a
word, the word it is next to is automatically inserted into the
Entry field.
* When the selection and the index entry differ, however slightly, the
selection is tagged differently. This tag breaks the link between
the word in the text and the index entry. Thus, the translators are
able to change the index entries independently of what is in the text.

If my understanding is correct, this means that we could select a word/phrase as long as we modify it in the Entry field. This would make our task slightly simpler (and more understandable, at least to me) and the Contributor Guide could be modified accordingly.

Thanks again,

Cathy