Upgrade The ODFAuthors Website

Hello,

I'm currently working on an upgrade for the ODFAuthors website. I
created a new buildout for the website with a current version of Plone.
I'm happy to hear suggestions for the content and structure of the new
frontpage of ODFAuthors.

What content do you want to see on this frontpage?

Do you have suggestions how to structure this content on the frontpage?

The current site is here: https://www.odfauthors.org.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Hello,

I'm currently working on an upgrade for the ODFAuthors website.

Great. thanks for your work.

[...]

What content do you want to see on this frontpage?

Do you have suggestions how to structure this content on the frontpage?

1. Throw away all old stuff:
AOO & OOo
There is no need for the TDF to stockpile these things as they are very,
very old or not necessary for us any more.

If not, put it in an archive folder very, very deep.

2. Starting page:
Delete the "Printed books for sale" section.
ODFauthors is a working platform. We should put this information at an
other place.

3. Setting a link on first page:
"If you just want to read documentation, see our published chapters at:
https://documentation.libreoffice.org "

4. Three links on page (in header and/or text):
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
https://www.libreoffice.org/
https://www.documentfoundation.org/

5. Perhaps a formal question:
Get the same frame look of the page like
https://www.libreoffice.org/ and https://www.documentfoundation.org/

- a more present "LibO-green"
- The TDF-Icon (perhaps with a feather in it).

Hello,

I'm currently working on an upgrade for the ODFAuthors website.

Great. thanks for your work.

+1 And thanks for your past maintenance of the Plone instance.

What content do you want to see on this frontpage?

Do you have suggestions how to structure this content on the frontpage?

1. Throw away all old stuff:
AOO & OOo
There is no need for the TDF to stockpile these things as they are very,
very old or not necessary for us any more.

If not, put it in an archive folder very, very deep.

+1 for an archive.

2. Starting page:
Delete the "Printed books for sale" section.
ODFauthors is a working platform. We should put this information at an
other place.

You are correct, ODFAuthors is a working platform, but I see no
beneficial reason to remove the "Printed books for sale" section. There
is a historical link between ODFAuthors (formally OpenOffice Authors)
and the printed books publisher Friends of OpenDocument
http://www.friendsofopendocument.com/newsite/ IIRC both were originally
established by Jean Weber. Profits from the sale of the printed books
are made available to support organisations promoting ODF.

3. Setting a link on first page:
"If you just want to read documentation, see our published chapters at:
https://documentation.libreoffice.org "

+1

4. Three links on page (in header and/or text):
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
https://www.libreoffice.org/
https://www.documentfoundation.org/

+1

5. Perhaps a formal question:
Get the same frame look of the page like
https://www.libreoffice.org/ and https://www.documentfoundation.org/

- a more present "LibO-green"

The green should be possible, but making a Plone instance look like a
Silverstripe driver website would, even if possible, involve a great
deal of work, which I doubt Andreas needs at this time.

- The TDF-Icon (perhaps with a feather in it).

Which feather did you have in mind, the ASF one? :))

There is a proposal under consideration that we move from ODFAuthors to
NextCloud LibreOffice Online as our working platform. I would like to
see this discussed at today's Docs meeting.

Regards
Dave

Hi Dave, all,

[...]

2. Starting page:
Delete the "Printed books for sale" section.
ODFauthors is a working platform. We should put this information at an
other place.

You are correct, ODFAuthors is a working platform, but I see no
beneficial reason to remove the "Printed books for sale" section. There
is a historical link between ODFAuthors (formally OpenOffice Authors)
and the printed books publisher Friends of OpenDocument
http://www.friendsofopendocument.com/newsite/ IIRC both were originally
established by Jean Weber. Profits from the sale of the printed books
are made available to support organisations promoting ODF.

Oooh, I don't want to delete the connection between ODFAthors and
Friends of OpenDocument. It is really important. But the content in the
section is rather old. And nobody is working on it. I would delete the
list of books there.
Let's write a text like:
"Printed books for sale
The books are also available in printed form from the Friends of
OpenDocument's store at Lulu.com."
(without any list of books.)

[...]

5. Perhaps a formal question:

[...]

- The TDF-Icon (perhaps with a feather in it).

Which feather did you have in mind, the ASF one? :))

More the ODFAuthor's one.

There is a proposal under consideration that we move from ODFAuthors to
NextCloud LibreOffice Online as our working platform.

So Andreas should wait with continuing his work until we have a
decision? Otherwise he perhaps does a lot of work for the waste paper bin.