The essence of styles

I have been reviewing the Writer chapter, Chapter 4 of the Getting Started Guide, and have a suggestion.

For me, two of the more confusing issues with LibreOffice (and judging from the forums, others as well) has been understanding how styles work together—especially paragraph and character styles—and how to clear formatting.

Common problems are understanding what causes text to be formatted as it is and how to change it to what is wanted.

Information related to these issues is in various places but can be missed. I would like to suggest that there be a section toward the beginning of the style section that explains the overall logic of styles as well as strategies for removing style-based formatting and direct formatting.

I would like to look at Chapter 3, the chapter that presumably introduces styles, to see if such a section has been added, but I don’t see that chapter.

If the kind of section I am suggesting is not already available, I could try to write a draft. However, I am not sure if I completely understand it yet, so could use some help. Also, I think some good graphics would help.

Are others interested in this?

Hi John, Glad to hear that you are willing to work on this.

It would be helpful to hear from other members of the team about whether this is something that could be added to the book. I am thinking that this section would be in the range of 2-3 pages, depending on graphics.

Also, might there be a graphic designer who could help us?

Hi Cathy,

Do you remember that there a book about styles and templates?
http://designingwithlibreoffice.com/download-buy/

Best regards,
Lera

Hi Cathy,

Valerii just beat me to it in recommending Bruce Byfield's publication.
IMNSHO it is by far and away one of the best and well constructed
sources of information about using styles in LibreOffice. Plus, Bruce is
a very approachable and helpful guy, who I am sure would be willing to
offer advice if you wanted to tackle this project. I am fully committed
to finishing reviews of the GS6.0 guide, otherwise I would be happy to
work on this with you.

Best Regards
Dave

Hi Dave,

I like the idea of seeing if he might be interested in helping.

As someone whose motto for writing and editing documentation is "Ignorance Is Strength," I need to be able to talk to someone with expert knowledge. Sounds like he would fit the bill, if he is willing.

I will email him to see if he is interested.

Cathy

Hello Cathy, all

GS6003 - Styles and Templates has now some words on styles and direct
formatting.

I hope it makes clear the difference between direct formatting and
styles formatting.

The chapter is in the 6.0 feedback folder in ODFAuthor

Kind regards

Olivier

That is good to hear. I will have a look.

I have been attempting to make the difference clearer in Chapter 4, which I hope to finish in the next few days.