Status of Writer Guide v5.4: Olivier please note

I have completed the rewriting and updating of the WG to 5.4.
The ODT files for the chapters, and the front and back cover PNG files, are in
https://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/published-LO-5.4

Olivier: These files are ready to be "cleaned". I know there are some
issues with the labelled figures, for which my apologies.

I have compiled the full book from the chapters and am in the process
of checking the result.

I will put the full book file on ODFAuthors, and everything (ODT and
PDF) on the wiki as soon as I can, probably in the next day or two.
I'll let you know when that is done.

Notes:
I incorporated many of Cathy's edits in Chapter 1, but very few in
Chapter 2 (which I have moved to be Chapter 20). I agree with almost
all of her suggestions, but I lacked the time, and in some cases the
knowledge, to implement them in this iteration of the book. Also, I
think a lot of the changes she suggested for Ch2 should go into the
Help (from which much of this chapter was copied) and/or into the
corresponding chapter in the Getting Started Guide. And lastly, I've
cut out quite a bit of the chapter completely, or reduced topics to a
paragraph, and referred readers to the Help or the GSG.

I seriously hope someone will follow up on her
suggestions, and indeed I will try to incorporate as many as I
can in Writer Guide for LOv6. It's always a struggle between doing it
better and getting it done before the book is thoroughly obsolete, and
I really dislike not being able to follow up properly on a good,
thorough review.

--Jean

Hello Jean

Congratulations to the Writer Team. Impressive effort.

(snip)

I have completed the rewriting and updating of the WG to 5.4.
The ODT files for the chapters, and the front and back cover PNG files, are in
https://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/published-LO-5.4

Olivier: These files are ready to be "cleaned". I know there are some
issues with the labelled figures, for which my apologies.

I have browsed all files and picked a couple of these labelled figures,
typos and broken references. Some Headings 2 in Chap 18 had different
fonts too, which I reset to style's default.

I uploaded/replaced all files after "cleaning" them in the "Published"
folder.

I have compiled the full book from the chapters and am in the process
of checking the result.

I will put the full book file on ODFAuthors, and everything (ODT and
PDF) on the wiki as soon as I can, probably in the next day or two.
I'll let you know when that is done.

Thank you for this.

Notes:
I incorporated many of Cathy's edits in Chapter 1, but very few in
Chapter 2 (which I have moved to be Chapter 20). I agree with almost
all of her suggestions, but I lacked the time, and in some cases the
knowledge, to implement them in this iteration of the book. Also, I
think a lot of the changes she suggested for Ch2 should go into the
Help (from which much of this chapter was copied) and/or into the
corresponding chapter in the Getting Started Guide. And lastly, I've
cut out quite a bit of the chapter completely, or reduced topics to a
paragraph, and referred readers to the Help or the GSG.

I read Cathy's notes and I agree too... It will require a in depth
review of the text.

I seriously hope someone will follow up on her
suggestions, and indeed I will try to incorporate as many as I
can in Writer Guide for LOv6. It's always a struggle between doing it
better and getting it done before the book is thoroughly obsolete, and
I really dislike not being able to follow up properly on a good,
thorough review.

The issue is triggered by the speed the software is adding features and
have its user interface changed. Just for example, the MUFFIN or
"Notebook" bar will invalidate most of the images and contents we
describe in all guides. How to deal with such enormous task?

We need a better documenting process, capable of following the speed of
LibreOffice improvements and changes. I'll open a thread for this theme
next week.

Kind regards