Documentation Team Call For Help

In the world of open source software LibreOffice has one of the shortest
time based release cycles. One downside of this schedule is that the
Documentation Team has been unable keep pace with the release frequency
for publication of the User Guides. With the release of LO Version 6.0
targeted for Q1 of 2018
<https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/04/21/new-branding-libreoffice-6-0/>,
the Documentation Team is attempting to proactively begin work on the
“/Getting Started/” guide now, in order to have at least the basic guide
ready for publication by the time version 6.0 is released.

To achieve this target the Documentation Team is seeking the help of new
and past authors/reviewers. While skilled technical authors will always
be welcome, anyone, regardless of their writing skills and knowledge of
the software, can contribute to this effort. The only requirements are,
a reasonable ability to read and write in English. Users with little or
no previous experience can make a valuable contribution, by carefully
following the revised guide chapters and reporting anything that does
not agree with the actual software, or is not sufficiently clear for
inexperienced users to understand.

If you would like to help in any way, please email a request for more
information to the Documentation Team: documentation@libreoffice.org
<mailto:documentation@global.libreoffice.org>

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Hi all and Dave.
Is there a clear task that I can help you with?BRAndrea.

Hi Folks,

The message below and my in-line reply is the tail-end of an off-list
email exchange Cathy and I have been having over the last couple of days
and we felt it might be of some interest to others here.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the thorough answer.

It sounds like you are suggesting working on the Getting Started guide
as a writer. Is that correct?

Not exactly, My thoughts are that since you had already been reviewing
the published Writer guide, you might wish to turn your attention to the
Writer chapter of the GS Guide.

If so, it is probably not for me because I am definitely more comfortable as a reviewer.

Understood, but to be honest there is not a vast difference between
revising/updating and reviewing chapters of the guides. The basic
workflow is that one of us takes a single chapter of an existing guide
(in this instance the 5.2 GS Guide) to work on and updates those parts
of the chapter that have or will change for 6.0 Then put the updated
chapter into the "Drafts" folder on the Authors website. Someone else
then picks up our draft, edits and comments what they believe to be
necessary and returns their edit of the chapter into the "Feedback"
folder on the Authors website.

The concept is we each take a "small bite" of the job and between us we
get the whole job done. The one thing none of us should try and do is to
take a whole guide and try to rewrite the entire thing on our own. In
the history of LO I have only seen this done once by a a guy from the
German language project, who produced "The Base Handbook", but even
though a skilled writer with a solid knowledge of databases, he had the
support and cooperation of an 8 person team.

Obviously, revising/updating will be easier for someone with technical
writing experience and knowledge of the software, but anyone (even me)
can do it. In order to help all authors identify the updates and
additions to the software since the last published guide, I am about to
publish a wiki page outlining those points that impact on the guides.

A few things keep in mind:
  o We can all overlook things and make mistakes,
    but that's part of what the review stage is intended to fix.
  o When we review other team members updates/revisions,
    we are working together, not attacking their efforts.
  o If none of us creates the initial draft of a chapter,
    there will never be anything to review.

However, I could consider.
Is the idea to use 5.2 as the template and just update the relevant
areas where the program has changed?

That's exactly what I was proposing for the GS guide. Namely, grab the
Writer chapter of the 5.2 Getting Started Guide from:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/f/f1/GS5204-GettingStartedWithWriter.odt
and have fun.

It would be great to have an idea of who else is involved in this
effort.

Even though we sometimes speak of "Team Members", there is no formal
structure, because we are all volunteer contributors to an open source
project, where there is no obligation placed on any of us. The only
exception is Oliver, contracted as a consultant by the TDF as Project
Lead to help move the Documentation project forward, but in the process
Oliver has contributed substantial changes, additions and improvements,
especially in the area of the software's on and off line help facilities.

A list of contributors with their backgrounds, interests,
pictures, or whatever they would like to share could make participation
in this effort feel more connected and vital.

I understand your sentiments, but not everyone wants/likes to publicly
share this kind of information and as previously mentioned no project
contributors are under any obligation. The closest thing you will find
to formal identification of team contributors is to look at the preface
of the various guides. By following this list you will come to recognize
"the regulars".

No doubt this has been
thought about before and there is little funding. However, it could be
done relatively easily and I think it would help the project, especially
newcomers like me.

I don't believe that funding, if any, would be an issue here. To the
best of my knowledge this has not been proposed previously. Maybe this
could be added to the agenda for our on-line meeting on August 2nd. and
if there were sufficient interest we could create a documentation wiki page.

The notes I have seen from the calls are a bit inscrutable so I haven't
been able to tell if it makes sense to join them.

Yes, LO and TDF meeting notes are a kind of shorthand and take a bit of
getting used to. They are mostly intended as a road map of planned
objectives.

That said, I will
participate in the next call if I can (will be traveling that day).

It would be great if you and anyone else reading this could join us at
the next meeting. They tend to reasonably short and informal.

Thanks again.

Cathy

I would also like to take this opportunity to echo echo Oliver's welcome
and extend my thanks to all of you who were kind enough to respond to my
"Call for help" post. Please do subscribe to the docs mailing list and
come say hello.

Regards
Dave

Hi Andrea,

The humorous answer to your question is; Yes, too many :wink:

Like most other aspects of open source projects, the documentation team
does not allocate tasks to contributors, we endeavor make known the
tasks that need to be done and we each choose which of those tasks we
might wish to take on.

As mentioned previously, our current target is to produce the GS guide
for 6.0 and publish it around the same time as that version of the
software is released.

Since you have kindly offered to assist, you might consider taking a
chapter of the 5.2 Getting Started Guide, for the module (eg. Writer,
Calc, etc.) which you are familiar/comfortable with and update that
chapter for the new or changed features for that module in 6.0

All the team asks is that if you do choose to work on one of the GS
guide chapters, please send a little note to this list and let us know
which one. Not that we want to keep track of, or push for your
contribution, but it does help to avoid duplicated effort.

I don't know if you are familiar with our documentation methods and
workflow, but if not see here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development
To effectively work in the documentation development process, you will
need access to the ODF Authors website. If you don't already have a
log-in for ODF Authors, just ask here and someone with the necessary
karma will provide you with one.

If you could find the time, please join us at the next (August 2nd.)
on-line documentation meeting. Look out for Oliver's notice a day or two
before the meeting date. Previously the number of folks attending the
meetings have been pretty low (2 or 3). It would be great to have more
people join in, so that we get a wider, more diverse input from our
fellow contributors.

Many thanks for your interest and we would very much welcome your
assistance.

Best Regards
Dave