The missing Galaxy icon set: Solved

Martin, I am sure you are right. <looks around /> Aha! They are in
Synaptic package manager. Why didn't I think of that? (Probably
because I'm using a Mac these days. How quickly I forget Ubuntu
things!)

So that is another way for Gabriel and others to get the Galaxy icon
set. I still think it's best to install LO from the LO website, to
avoid any other differences that may exist in the distro versions of
LO.

--Jean

Hello Jean

Just tried installing LO into Ubuntu 11.10 following the instructions on the LO website - download the DEB package from LO website, unarchive and use Terminal. The Galaxy set does not install and using Terminal produces a conflict error. Solution was to use Synaptic and install the Galaxy set. I definitely now have Galaxy set as default.

Regards

Peter

Peter,
Thanks for the report. I must look at the instructions you refer to and see what if anything I do differently, because all the icon sets installed when I used terminal to install LO on Ubuntu.

Curiouser and curiouser. Glad you got it solved, by whatever means.

--Jean

@ Jean,
No need to apologize, Jean. On the contrary, I know how unnerving it can be to keep answering newbies questions, and I thank you for taking the time to go through the problem. I downloaded LO from the website but as Peter mentioned, there are some "conflicts" to install it properly. Nothing to worry about, later, I'll set down to see how to fix that. On the meantime, I could get the blessed "Galaxy icon set" using Synaptic Package Manager as Martin suggested, so I can keep working. (and I'm also working on the screen-shots quality issue you mentioned).

@ Martin,
Thank you. As I'm new to Ubuntu, I wasn't aware of Synaptic Package Manager. I was looking for the packaged in the Download Center, but that is kind of basic.

Gabriel.

HI :slight_smile:
Ahh, Synaptic.  If only Windows had something like that it might have made the last few days a LOT easier for me.  Perhaps even the last few weeks.

In Windows each little program checks for updates separately and have to be configured per user, per app.  It's really "doing my head in"!  The other thing is that i can't seem to download all the updates to the network and deploy from there.  Each slow machine has to do the whole process itself!  Argghh, ggrrrr.  I have dug around and found something obscure from MS but haven't had chance to explore it yet.  Fun fun fun
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

@ Peter and Gabriel:

I wrote the instructions for Linux install a while back ... so please:

1) Where exactly did you follow instructions

2) what is exactly the error you see

Thx

Rogerio

Hello Rogerio

I installed Ubuntu 11.10 as a second OS on my toshiba laptop. The standard Ubuntu installation includes LibreOffice, but not the Base program. So, I re-installed LibreOffice from the Ubuntu Software Center to make sure Base was installed. However, the Galaxy set was not installed and only the Human set was available for icons.

I downloaded the Linux Debian version from the LibreOffice website and the went to http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/linux/ for the installation instructions. Everything went OK using Terminal until I reached Step 4. When I ran the dpkg command again for desktop-integration, a conflict error message appeared. I cannot remember the message and the dpkg command completed. I then checked LibreOffice and found that the Galaxy set had not installed. So I used Synaptic to install the Galaxy set without any problems.

Regards

Peter

Ok good to know, just to clarify, the document that is in Alfresco (and
wich needs some polishing again) was not used in that page?

Well ... at least it is there in Alfresco (although it was awfully edited
with some parts of some other document added)

If it pleases the team I would be willing to give it another reshaping, but
I won't if it will be kept a secret as it is currently :slight_smile:

No problem ... I wrote those instructions for the wiki and for myself, but
I have little time to spare, so if it will not be used anywhere, I preffer
to spend my time in other endeavors.

I'll await your input

Rogerio

PS: @Peter, good to see you did it, but if we were to debug the problem we
should have some more info ... but forget that for now and on to your work
:slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
I think it's not that urgent.  The original still just about works and Gnu&Linux users tend to be comfortable with things developing faster than even wiki's can keep-up with.  With a bit of luck someone might update the wiki but there is no reason that needs to be you.  Wikis tend to be better if a variety of people do quick little edits to keep them up-to-date.  It shows people are interested that way.
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hello Rogerio and Tom

The installation instructions on the Wikki do work, but you have to do a bit
preparation first when using Ubuntu 11.10.

Use Synaptic and completely remove the Ubuntu version of LibreOffice.
Download the latest version of LibreOffice from the website.
Use the installation instructions on the LO website and everything installs
OK, even Step 4 for desktop-integration.
The Galaxy icon set also installs using this method.

The obvious problem is between the LO version that comes with Ubuntu 11.10
and desktop-integration. This is where the conflict happens if you do NOT
remove the Ubuntu LO version.

Regards

Peter

I have never attempted to do the desktop integration and I've not had a problem with keeping and using two versions of LO on Ubuntu. Not that I've used it much on v11.10, so I could be missing something.

--Jean

Hi :slight_smile:
It's great that the most unreliable things about LO are it's problems! ;)  Peter is the issue written up in the wiki?  I thought it was but if you need a hand editing the wiki i might be able to help.
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hello Tom

It is not written up. This idea only came to me after reading some of the discussion posts this morning.

I have never edited or written for a wikki before. It is a step never taken. Some advice would be well received.

Regards

Peter

Hi :slight_smile:
Ahh, you are only used to the complicated stuff.  For wiki-editing click on the top-right corner of the page to register yourself.  Check your emails after maybe 10mins to check you get the confirmation note.

Passwords need to be very straight-forwards so my usual type of thing didn't work.  I had to use "password" for ages (ie the 1st one that people try when trying to hack a system).

Formatting is done using = around headings, == around sub-headings, === around sub-sub-headings.  Tables use the | not l but mostly they are already there and easy to copy&paste if you can't find them on the keyboard.  Uk have them to the left of the z, i think Usa&laptops are often somewhere around the zero i think.  Basically it's very much like html but with strange characters 'to make it easier'.

If you stuff-up the editing really badly it's fairly easy for someone else to rescue it or even revert to a previous version and save you hours of panic.  I wish someone had told me that last hint when i first started!

I can give details off-list if you run into issues or on-list, either way is good.
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Gave the wiki a slight lift ... let's see how it goes.

Rogerio

Question: If a person has two version of LO on Ubuntu, how many
might use the wrong version when writing and making screenshots? They
would look similar unless the icon styles for the two versions were
noticeably different. (I have used OOo to write my chapters and LO for
taking the screenshots at the same time. But sometimes I accidentally
reverse these two. Jean caught a couple of these recently in Chapter 1
of the Base Guide.)
     If the partition contains only the LO website version, one more
possible error (for some people) is eliminated.

--Dan

Err... What is the question? How to see if LibO is being used and what
version? Go to Help > About LibreOffice with an open document, if this is
not it, I think I misunderstand the question ..

Rogerio

The question was hypothetical, asking how many people might not pay
enough attention to notice that they might be using the wrong version
of LO when doing documentation.

Dan, that's certainly a good practical reason for people to choose to
keep only one version of LO on their machine. However, that's a
completely different issue from saying "it's necessary to remove the
Ubuntu version" -- which implies that the downloaded LO won't work (or
work properly) if the Ubuntu version is present. AFAIK, the latter is
not true; what is true is: "if you want the downloaded LO to be
integrated with the desktop, then it's necessary to remove the Ubuntu
version first" -- an entirely different statement.

--Jean

I don't remember who is dealing with that page, or what happened (or
not) with the doc you wrote. I have a vague (and possibly incorrect)
memory that this was on David Nelson's to-do list. I've been popping
in and out of the project, so I haven't kept up as well as I sometimes
do. But I don't think your doc is being deliberately hidden, though it
may well have been mislaid.

And I have no idea who edited it badly. Perhaps that is why it's still
hidden, awaiting someone to clean it up.

--Jean

Hey ... no problem ... REALLY ... Its just not something I will care to fix
if it won't be used anywhere, thats all.

I don't have online "feelings" ... so they don't get hurt :))))

Rogerio