Help with the wiki

I think that Tom Davies suggestion of a specific wiki page we could
use to discuss how to organize the team and distribute responsibilities
to more of the people is an excellent idea.
     This leads me to the subject of this email. I have never used a
wiki before so I need someone to point me to instructions on how to make
contributions to a wiki. I have downloaded and installed the wiki
extension for LibreOffice which I think may be a beginning.
     I also will need a user name and password to access the URL
mentioned by Tom. The user name and email address I use for this mailing
list is at the end of this message.

Dan
elderdanlewis@gmail.com

Hi :slight_smile:
Ahhh, it's actually a LOT easier than that.

1. You just register a user-name and login for yourself, just as you would with registering at a forum. It's less tricky than setting up an email account such as gmail or yahoo. I think there might be a 24hour delay before you get the confirmation email to your address but that email should help you login for the first time and change your password to something simple and short.

Sadly the wiki doesn't seem to allow really complicated passwords so stick to letters and maybe numbers but no "funny characters". Experiment with the password after you have got the first one sorted out.

Hmm actually this password stuff is the really messy, clunky and confusing bit and it is probably that which is making the whole thing seem like a nightmare. I had to use the password "password" (which is the most common and most hacked/cracked password out there) for quite a while before i was able to find something better that i could use & remember.

2. Once you have an account and have logged in and are at the page you want to edit it's much like just writing an email. Once you have written what you want scroll down past all the language options, write a brief comment in the equivalent of the subject-line and click the appropriate button to "submit" changes. The preview button can be a bit confusing at first so don't bother using it until you have made a few successful changes to a page.

3. It is possible to use a type of mark-up language that does quite a few things that html would do but uses a different language called wiki-mark-up. If you are fairly familiar with html it's easy. If you're not it's still reasonably easy. Either way it's worth leaving formatting for other people to do later until you have had a bit of practice at just getting plain text added a few times.

4. There are pages that show what changes have been made recently throughout the wiki so if you make some stupid dumb mistake someone else can probably fix it. Don't worry about making dumb mistakes everyone makes them especially while learning and most people are just happy to see someone new joining in and may even help with a couple of quick hints&tips.

Good luck, have fun and don't worry! Just add stuff and see how it goes :slight_smile:
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

[...]

     Thanks to those who replied for the directions. I have registered
on the wiki, received the confirmation email, clicked the link to
confirm which opened my browser, and saw the message that I am now
registered. Step one is completed.

2. Once you have an account and have logged in and are at the page you want to edit it's much
like just writing an email. Once you have written what you want scroll down past all the
language options, write a brief comment in the equivalent of the subject-line and click the
appropriate button to "submit" changes. The preview button can be a bit confusing at first so
don't bother using it until you have made a few successful changes to a page.

A little later this afternoon I will access the wiki page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Team/JobDescriptions using the wiki extension in
LibreOffice. We will see how that goes. I expect it to work.