wiki main page

Hi :slight_smile:
Alex has made an excellent and fairly hefty start to an FAQ section and put it on the main documentation page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Could i move it to a sub-page such as
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Faq

I think it would be good to allow a sort of "Community Documentation" of hints and tips and things to build-up. Taking a fairly dumb example things such as
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/InstallLinux
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/InstallWindows
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/InstallWindows/Xp
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/InstallLinux/openSUSE
I'm not talking about making a big start on that. Really just thinking ahead so that the Faq doesn't keep getting moved around. I was thinking about taking the "Documentation" part out of the name but i think that would make things too messy lower-down and might annoy other teams.

Also i would like to move the Guides off the main page to make it more of a sign-posting / "Table of Contents" type page.

I think it's got to the point where it could usefully be about 4 or 5 pages instead of 1 and i think that would unconfuse it. Another day we might be able to consolidate some stuff into those from some of the other pages if we are lucky :slight_smile:

Are people happy to let me have a go at it and then comment on the results after i have done it? Does my plan seem ok?

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Alex has made an excellent and fairly hefty start to an FAQ section and put it on the main documentation page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Could i move it to a sub-page such as
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Faq

IMO that is a good idea.

I think it would be good to allow a sort of "Community Documentation" of hints and tips and things to build-up.
[...]

I agree, though I don't have any opinion yet on the details.

Also i would like to move the Guides off the main page to make it more of a sign-posting / "Table of Contents" type page.

Probably a good idea too. The main place for people to get the guides
is from the website, so having them one level deeper on the wiki does
not seem like a problem to me. And the shorter, cleaner, and clearer
the main Docs wiki page, the better.

Are people happy to let me have a go at it and then comment on the results after i have done it?  Does my plan seem ok?

Yes, it sounds like a good plan to me. Your previous changes to the
wiki have improved it, so I'm happy to let you have a go at it. It
certainly needs a lot of help. Thanks, Tom!

--Jean

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks Jean :slight_smile: I have started by adding this page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
but so far i have left the main page untouched to give other people here a chance to see and suggest changes.

I tried the headings another way around but it didn't look so pretty so i switched back. Feel free to try ideas out :slight_smile: Then i can maybe try to do the other pages i was thinking of in one go tomorrow. (err, today (but much later), it's already tomorrow here!)
Thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Ok, i am not sure about the names i am choosing. So far avoiding shouting
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Team
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Faq
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

The "Team" one is to consolidate odd paragraphs from a few different pages.
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Tom, all,

Hi :slight_smile:
Alex has made an excellent and fairly hefty start to an FAQ section and put it on the main documentation page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Could i move it to a sub-page such as
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Faq

As far as I'm concerned, it can go anywhere just as long as I can find
it :-)) I just wanted to get something up there, and I'm willing to
admit that I'm hopeless with wiki admin.

My aim at the moment is to translate what the French have put in their
FAQ because it was transferred from the old OOo site, and has been
pretty much checked by them to see if it still applied to LibO. Although
I have put up entries for all of the modules, my immediate focus is on
Base, which I hope to have time to start filling in this week.

Alex

Hi :slight_smile:
Yes, my main worry is about making things easier to find, definitely not more difficult! Adding the Faq is a good plan especially since we can copy it wholesale from the French :slight_smile:
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:

Ok, perhaps a single wiki-page with bite-sized tasks at the top and vague wish-list items under a new heading lower down? Perhaps a page

Documentation/Team/ToDo

or just have the ToDo lower on the "how to join the team" page? I could try one way around to see how it looks and then try the other way to compare.

I would like to settle on names for those 3 pages listed below. I'm not really happy with my own choices right now. Any ideas from anyone else? I want to try to keep the names short. Perhaps "TheGuides" or "Manuals" instead of "Publications"? I'm veering towards "Manuals" now as it is a more generic term that people might be more familiar with?
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile: