"Record macro" not available?

Neither Barbara nor I have been able to access the "Record macro" command on
the Tools > Macros menu. Does anyone know why this is disabled (greyed out)?
And, more importantly, how I can enable it?

I have looked in my settings to see if some option is set to prevent using
this feature, but I can't find anything. Specifically, I looked in Tools >
Options > LibreOffice > Security (and its related dialog) and in File >
Properties > Security, but despite fiddling with some of those settings,
there is no change to the lack of macro recording.

I don't read the other lists, so this may have been discussed on one of
them.

Hal

Hi Hal,

Neither Barbara nor I have been able to access the "Record macro" command on
the Tools > Macros menu. Does anyone know why this is disabled (greyed out)?
And, more importantly, how I can enable it?

Tools | Options... | General | Enable experimental

Stefan

Hi

That option does not exist as far as I can see on the Mac Os version of 3.3.1RC2 and the help cannot help either.

Ian

Hi,

I'll answer my own question for Mac:

  LibreOffice> Preferences> General and below Year (two digit). I got the help to work as well which it did not want to.

Ian

I noticed that mentioned under "Experimental".

So, what have I been using in OOo all these years? To type a character
that's not on my laptop keyboard, having no clue how to write such a macro
from scratch, I recorded the typing of some ordinary character, then edited
it to paste in the char or string of chars I want. For example, I have a
toolbar button that inserts a thin space, em dash, thin space group.

The Record Macro feature was and still is a normal feature in OOo, which
AFAIK doesn't have an "experimental" subset.

This probably has something to do with the code that's being rewritten for
LibreOffice... not an area in which I pay much attention to the details.

Hal

Hi, :slight_smile:

The macro recording feature was recently reclassified as an
experimental feature because the devs considered it to be buggy, and
felt that it wasn't good to present it as a finished and stable
functionality for the moment.

Personally, I use it frequently and haven't had any problems with it.
For me, it's one of the most productivity-enhancing things in Writer.

David Nelson