Icon differences

I'm going through the Writer Guide chapter on graphics, and I notice that
Barbara has commented in several places about the icons in the file being
different from the ones you see. The most likely cause is that the options
are set to use the "automatic" set of icons, which varies with the operating
system. This selection is found in Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View.

The OOo user guides use the "Galaxy (default)" set, and we should probably
stick with that for the time being.

Of course, some figures and icons in the OOo guides are in fact out of date
and will need to be changed.

Hal

Upon looking more closely at the chapter, I can see a lot more changed icons
than I first thought, even within the Galaxy set. And they have changed in
OOo also. My apologies, Barbara.

Hal

You guys are driving me nuts, finding things that need to be changed in
the OOo docs because we failed to notice them before. You're as good as
the translators that way. :wink:

But seriously, thank you.

--Jean

While I'm going through the Writer Guide, I'm finding lots of things that
also need to be changed in the Getting Started guide that I missed before in
my enthusiasm to publish a book in time for the product release. When I
finish working on Writer Guide chapters, I plan to fix up the Getting
Started book.

Probably the OOo Getting Started book needs similar changes.

Hal

Hi :slight_smile:

The icon sets seem to be really easy to switch/skin and are getting updated by
the design team anyway. Rare but great for an OpenSource project! I think that
a simple disclaimer as Barbara has been doing is the best work-around. I guess
it might be good to use an icon set that is not the default for OOo. However, i
think OOo icons are copy-left'ed rather than copyrighted so it is not the same
as the issue about screen-shots in Windows.

So, while getting the icons sets 'right' is a level of perfection that would be
nice i think that it is unattainable and not really necessary.

One work-around is to get creative and deliberately use a different icon set for
each screen-shot on a page. The disclaimer should have a clickable link to the
page about how to change the icon set and/or a page with examples of several
different icon sets and/or the design teams page about icon sets. This would
neatly cover any discrepancies and turn them into a bonus rather than a problem.

Normal policy of aiming at consistency should be followed unless we agree to
deliberately 'get creative'.
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

I think many of the differences are due to using "Tango" instead of the older
set.

It's kind of pointless to show a picture and say "this icon does this" when
they don't match. I have to count the position to find the right one on
mine.

As I noted in the parts I've updated, many other things on the screen shots
are out of date too, so they still need to be redone.

Hi all,

I think many of the differences are due to using "Tango" instead of the older
set.

It's kind of pointless to show a picture and say "this icon does this" when
they don't match. I have to count the position to find the right one on
mine.

As I noted in the parts I've updated, many other things on the screen shots
are out of date too, so they still need to be redone.

I might add that on Mac at least, the question appears moot, for there
appears to be only one possible set anyway.

Alex

@Alex

LibreOffice - Preferences - View

Under "User Interface", you find "Icon size and style".
Here you can change your icons, just as you can with any other version.

Hi Clayton,

LibreOffice - Preferences - View

Under "User Interface", you find "Icon size and style".
Here you can change your icons, just as you can with any other version.

Great stuff, thanks, and what's more, it does it on the fly !! Brill :-))

Alex