What is this hidden paragraph "MD!=0" ?

The OOoGuideName paragraph contains a field after the visible text, which appears to be "Hidden paragraph". But I suppose there is nothing in it, since nothing more shows when I show everything. What's it for, and what is this MD!=0 mean?

Hi, :slight_smile:

The OOoGuideName paragraph contains a field after the visible text, which appears to be "Hidden paragraph".  But I suppose there is nothing in it, since nothing more shows when I show everything.  What's it for, and what is this MD!=0 mean?

I forget exactly what that was for but, IIRC, Jean Weber suggested
that it should be left as is... I think it was required when compiling
a book out of the individual chapters?

David Nelson

it is used when compiling a book from the individual chapters. I can
explain the details some other time. Jean

Getting back to this question, though by now you've probably figured it
out for yourself from what I said earlier.

MD!=0 is a conditional field, whose purpose is to hide the paragraph
when the file is a subdoc in a master doc. The condition is "Master
Document field not equal to zero". The master doc includes a field that
sets MD=1, i.e. not equal to zero, so the para is hidden.

The copyright and TOC pages are contained in a conditional section,
which is also controlled by the MD field, causing those pages to be
hidden when the chapter is part of a book.

--Jean