Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Re: Documentation workflow (via website) requirements

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Alexander Thurgood
<alex.thurgood@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Le 14/12/10 03:18, Jean Hollis Weber a écrit :
>
> Since we are on the subject of workflow requirements, I thought I'd add
> my 2c, which concern mainly translation of existing documentation. In
> the past, I have created some of my own documentation for the OOo
> project, and then translated it myself, however, translating other works
> has always been a right royal PITA. I originally posted the following
> wishlist on the French discussion list the other day :
>
> - be able to translate an *ODF* file in such a way that homogenous
> vocabulary terms are used throughout (e.g. using a translation memory,
> glossary) ;
>
> - be made aware automatically that there has been a change in the
> original language document from which the translation was made;
>
> - be able to easily collaborate on a translation, be it by division of
> labour (e.g. segmentation),  or through proof-reading / copy / revision
> writing, and being automatically made aware thereof, each time a change
> occurs ;
>
> - not having to be online to be able to do the work : one of the banes
> of most of the solutions I have seen proposed so far is the requirement
> to be online to actually work on a document - please do not make this an
> obligation, not all of us live online or have permanent access; the
> corollary of this possibility, is also being able to update the work
> done once an online connection is available again;
>
> - when a new document is put online, being made aware of that fact via
> an automatic notification (e-mail ?) what I like about the Silverstripe
> CMS at the moment is that I am made aware each time a change is made to
> the site for which I have publishing rights - this is a superb piece of
> functionality as far as I'm concerned ;
>
> - be able to tell others simply and efficiently that I have reserved a
> document or that others have reserved a document to work on - ideally,
> this would be proposed automatically.
>

> Maybe these requirements are impossible at the moment with the solutions
> available to us, but something like that would be far more motivating
> than anything I've had the unfortunate displeasure to use so far :-p
>
> Alex

Alex,
The website team is still in the stages of setting up the workflow as
discussed with Jean earlier last month via the Drupal implementation.
There has been talk of utilising a third party tool such as Alfresco,
but as I understand it there is little that Alfresco can do to
synchronise / manage updates of documents across languages.

I have bookmarked your email regarding the requirements for
international documentation, and I will add it to the growing list of
requirements for the documentation development and revision work flow.
These are clearly infrastructure demanding requirements, and we will
be investigating ways to meet these requirements, unfortunately I
can't give you any straight answers at the moment as we require some
time to digest and discuss how these could be implemented within
Drupal.

To be clear, there has not been any decision to use Drupal as the
primary documentation development tool, but once we have established
the work flow and determined a way to coordinate this across languages
we will be putting the system up for the assessment of the
documentation and localisation/native language teams.

Thank you for the very clear and concise summary of some of the
ideals. Personally I would love to see a system which does not favour
any language, and developments in any language can be propagated
through the documentation of all languages for the benefit of the
entire community.

If you or anyone you know have any other ideas on the workflow or
internationalisation of the LibreOffice documentation I would love to
listen and learn while we progress with the Drupal development.

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland