Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Internationalization

Hi Sophie, :-)

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 15:10, Sophie Gautier <gautier.sophie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to just add some thoughts about internationalization (i18n is
> shorter) of the documentation.
>
> Some native-lang groups will produce its own documentation, some others will
> translate what is available in en_US language or other languages, and
> sometime it will be both.
>
> For the FR project, I'm currently testing some tools for the translation of
> the OOoAuthors Guides.
>
> Translating on the wiki is horrible, I've translated two guides and they are
> now completely obsolete and not in sync with the rest so it's a waste of
> time finally.
>
> With the .odt files we can use translating tools, glossaries and translation
> memory. I'm testing WordForge as the local translation tool currently (it
> manages odt -> xliff -> odt), and I think also to use Pootle to organize the
> workflow (you can assign roles and tasks, you know the amount of work is
> remaining, it's easy to check for errors like missing translation, double
> punctuation or missing caps, extra space, etc, you can work on line or off
> line and it handles xliff files).
>
> Would you be interested by this workflow at an i18n level, or do I go on
> only with the FR group here? This question because it needs more testing
> (will do after the 3.3 is out), and some styles (the low level ones it
> seems) will have to be adapted in the .odt file for conversion purpose to
> .xlf files. So it might be interesting to adapt it to your current workflow
> and requirements too.

My 2 cents would be that it would be good to keep us posted. At the
present time, there is not too much consensus on workflow yet in the
documentation project... We're working on it, though. About the only
thing that regular contributors seem to agree about ATM is that
ODF/ODT is the best central format, with other formats for end users
being generated from ODT.

I'm not too sure precisely how we can work i18n into our own
workflow... If you have specific suggestions then I'd be interested to
hear.

One package I'm currently interested in is Alfresco... I plan to
experiment with it between Christmas and New Year... Maybe there is a
possibility with this tool that we *could* design a more integrated
workflow with interested i18n teams... But this is pure conjecture for
the moment - I need to see it working first.

David Nelson