Introducing myself

/>From/: Hal Parker <halparker42@gmail.com <mailto:halparker42%40gmail.com>>
/>Date/: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:03:16 +1000

>I understand that at least for the LibO3.3 release we are using the OOo3.3
>docs as the starting point, and that Ron has created a template and applied
>it to the chapters of the OOo Getting Started book, but I'm not sure how to
>tell who is working on what or whether I have the latest version of a
>chapter. Is the wiki page for Documentation/Development kept up to date?

Hi Hal. Welcome on board.

The latest files are on the wiki:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
(the getting started guide files are what we're working on now)

and the checkout/status is here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#Getting_Started_Guide

I do think we need to work on our processes, but I would suggest that updating the GS guide chapters is the more important thing at the moment so they will be ready for the first release. Then we would have plenty of time to work out the processes.

I've finished reviewing/editing/updating several chapters and have updated their status on the development page. I would ask that anyone willing would review the completed chapters so we can come to a conclusion on if they are ready to be published. (Again, I don't think the process for that agreement has been worked out, but we can see what works.)

Ron

Ron, thanks for confirming & glad to see we agree about updating the GS
guide chapters being more important right now. :slight_smile:

I'll start going through the chapters you have marked as YES under Review
Completed. When I'm working on one of those files, I put my name in the
Checkout column, is that right?

After I've been through a chapter, where do I put it? I guess you have been
overwriting the files on this page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation. Should I do that too? And
then take my name off the Checkout column?

I see that Chapter 1 is marked as checked out. Is vardomescro (whoever that
is) updating it to include the corrections made to the OOo Chapter 1?

Cheers, Hal

I'll start going through the chapters you have marked as YES under Review
Completed. When I'm working on one of those files, I put my name in the
Checkout column, is that right?

Yes it is.

After I've been through a chapter, where do I put it? I guess you have been
overwriting the files on this page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation. Should I do that too? And
then take my name off the Checkout column?

Yes, that's right. To upload a new version of a file, you can go to Special Pages on the wiki and then choose the File List link and click on the filename of the file you're wanting to upload. That takes you to the page for that file where there is a link to upload a new version of the file.

Ron

This is great. So it sounds like our nascent workflow is this:

1) Work toward completion of 'Getting Started' documentation:
   a. as reviewer/publisher refer to
   http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development
   b. see a file thats state is 'no' under 'Review Completed'.
   c. check out document by placing username in checkout column.
   d. Download latest version of document from
      http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
   e. Review document, editing as needed.
   f. upload document at
      http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Special:Upload
   g. check document back in by removing username from 'Review
      Completed' column on Development page.
   h. Change file state to 'yes' in Development matrix.
   h. Alternatively, as editor/publisher follow steps b through h,
   changing 'Review Completed' for 'Agree to Publish'.
2) Iron out workflow, or barring that, move on to 'Writer Guide'.

If this is correct, or correct with edits, perhaps we could place
this information on
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Teamwork with a nice
sign up for account button, in hopes of making it easy for others to
get on board and typing.

-- jdc

Hi, :slight_smile:

If this is correct, or correct with edits, perhaps we could place
this information on
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Teamwork

So maybe don't feel shy to do it? :wink:

David Nelson

Got it. I've taken Chapter 2 and have already spotted some things that need
to be added or changed. Should I use change tracking? Doesn't seem good to
me to have change tracking in use in files available to the public, but I'll
go along with whatever you want.

Hal

Hi, :slight_smile:

Got it. I've taken Chapter 2 and have already spotted some things that need
to be added or changed. Should I use change tracking?

I'd definitely suggest to use changes tracking, and not to be shy to
insert comments, too.

Doesn't seem good to
me to have change tracking in use in files available to the public, but I'll
go along with whatever you want.

Yes, you're quite right... Jeremy is discussing in a similar vein in
this thread [1].
Could I suggest that you post in that thread and comment on what's being said?
Your input would be helpful... Ron's too...

[1] http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Workflow-requirements-td2102594.html

David Nelson

I think we should use change tracking (it's already turned on on the files I've uploaded). It really helps in the review. I agree that we don't want to have all the changes in the final versions. After they're finalized, we should accept all changes and post those new files.

Ron