Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Introducing myself

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:15 AM, David Nelson <commerce@traduction.biz>wrote:

> Hi, :-)
>
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 05:03, Hal Parker <halparker42@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why aren't we using the OOoAuthors website for tracking development? It
> > seems well set up for that, and a lot less confusing (at least for me) to
> > tell what the latest version of a chapter is.
>
> Well not everyone agrees that it's the best place to track
> development, for various reasons.

Fair enough, but you do need *some* way to track things while you're working
out your ongoing workflow. I notice you didn't answer my (unquoted)
questions about how to tell who is working on what or whether I have the
latest version of a chapter. Is the wiki page for Documentation/Development
kept up to date?

> > I find the Documentation section of the wiki very confusing. Would anyone
> > mind if I make some changes so things are easier to find? I know it's a
> > wiki, but being a newcomer here I don't want to tread on anyone's toes.
>
> Before you make changes, maybe it would be a good idea to discus the
> ideas here on the list first?
> New ideas and a new active contributor will be very welcome, but:
>
> a) If you just jump in and starts re-organizing the wiki without
> discussing your ideas first then other contributors are likely to get
> confused and, possibly, irritated.

Sorry. I had in mind to add a few links from one page to another, and maybe
a heading or two, not major reorganisation. Do I need to detail all of those
minor items here before doing them? I understand the need to discuss major
changes first.

> b) If per chance this is your first Open Source project, you might be
> surprised to find for every idea you find totally obvious and a
> no-brainer, there are half a dozen other people who think quite
> differently and have other ideas. :-D

I've noticed. :-)

> It's one of the reasons why it's taking some time to develop a workflow.

Seems to me that getting at least a Getting Started book done before product
release shouldn't have to wait on developing a proper workflow.

> There are a number of options we could adopt, and we need to talk about
> them.
>
> If you've got ideas, please do tell us.

I said a bit above, and I'll have more to say, but I'm more interested in
helping to actually produce some docs.

Hal