documentation at oooauthors

Hi,

I wanted to check a few of the chapters, that Ron ported from OOo to
LibO. When I logged in at oooauthors, I couldn't find the folder given
in this link:

http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3/getting-started

And when I entered the name manually, I only got the message, that the
folder is empty. I also don't see any other subfolder like a feedback
folder for this directory.

Does anyone have an idea, what I could try? Or were the documents there
removed and I have to go to the TDF wiki and grab the documents from
there?

Sigrid

Sigrid,

Link works for me.

Andy

Hi Sigrid,
That is the correct link and the files are there. You have to have author privileges to see them, even if you're logged in. Email Jean if you haven't been set up already.

From previous posts, I think it has been decided to start off with the published OOo 3.3 docs and redo the work we've done on the LibO docs that are there. Partly because the OOo docs are more updated and make a better starting point, but also because there are some issues with the LibO files that I've been working on (explained earlier) that make it necessary to start afresh.

You might want to check with David, but I think the next steps are to take an OOo chapter and start porting it while incorporating any worthwhile changes we've made so far to the LibO docs. Some of the screenshots that I've made are posted on the OOoAuthors site. So those don't have to be redone. I will post them all to the wiki if that's where the group wants to host them. Just let me know.

Screenshots at OOoAuthors:
http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3/images

Liberation fonts:
http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3/resources

Ron

Hi Andy,

> Hi,

[...]

Sigrid,

Link works for me.

Thanks Andy.

What I find very strange is, that I have manager rights on oooauthors,
I see the review list, but I can't see this folder.

I checked the rights that I had, changed them, logged off and on again
- and still nothing changed. I can't see any content in this folder.

Btw, I also don't see an "English" folder in the left bar when I go to
oooauthors, I only see it, when I add /english to the url manually.

That's so strange.

Sigrid

Hi Ron,

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to check a few of the chapters, that Ron ported from OOo to
> LibO. When I logged in at oooauthors, I couldn't find the folder
> given in this link:
>
> http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3/getting-started
>
> And when I entered the name manually, I only got the message, that
> the folder is empty. I also don't see any other subfolder like a
> feedback folder for this directory.
>
> Does anyone have an idea, what I could try? Or were the documents
> there removed and I have to go to the TDF wiki and grab the
> documents from there?
>

> Sigrid

Hi Sigrid,
That is the correct link and the files are there. You have to have
author privileges to see them, even if you're logged in. Email Jean
if you haven't been set up already.

Oh, I can do this myself - I have manager rights there. But I should
have the author role, since I was translating from English to German. :wink:

From previous posts, I think it has been decided to start off with
the published OOo 3.3 docs and redo the work we've done on the LibO
docs that are there. Partly because the OOo docs are more updated and
make a better starting point, but also because there are some issues
with the LibO files that I've been working on (explained earlier)
that make it necessary to start afresh.

Yeah, I think I remember reading this. So I'll start with a published
chapter from the Getting Started guide.

You might want to check with David, but I think the next steps are to
take an OOo chapter and start porting it while incorporating any
worthwhile changes we've made so far to the LibO docs. Some of the
screenshots that I've made are posted on the OOoAuthors site. So
those don't have to be redone. I will post them all to the wiki if
that's where the group wants to host them. Just let me know.

I think the place is good. I don't prefer one over the other. Since I
can't see any contents of those folders, can you tell me, under which
OS you did the screenshots and with which settings/theme?

Screenshots at OOoAuthors:
http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3/images

I will try to access those as well - but I guess all work has to wait
now, it's time for me to go to bed - past midnight already.

Liberation fonts:
http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3/resources

Thanks, I did install those fonts already after you mentioning them the
first time. :wink:

Sigrid

That is strange. I only have regular rights on the site. If I click the link I go right to the folder and see all the files. If I go to the front page then I can follow the links to the folder. Beats me. :frowning:

Andy

I did them under Windows 7 with small Galaxy icons.
Ron

I've worked on the chapter template (LibO3_3_chapter_template), starting fresh from Jean's updated template and put it on the wiki:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Produce

I've left the date off the filename so it will be easier to update later as Jean suggested. Please disregard any previous versions of the template I've posted. Thanks.

Ron

Hi Sigrid, :slight_smile:

I wanted to check a few of the chapters, that Ron ported from OOo to
LibO. When I logged in at oooauthors, I couldn't find the folder given
in this link:

Please may I just ask you what you're going to be checking?

David Nelson

Hi Sigrid,

That really is very strange, because as you said you do have manager
rights (and all the other rights), just as you have had for years. I
have now checked your permissions and they haven't changed.

You could clear your browser's cache and/or try a different browser, but
you have probably thought of that already.

Here are two direct links into the folders where the LibO GS files are
stored. Can you see these folders and files from a direct link?

http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3/getting-started/draft-lo3.3

http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3/getting-started/feedback-lo3.3

The files Ron has worked on are in feedback-lo3.3; the ones he has not
done yet are in draft-lo3.3.

If all those suggestions don't work... I have no idea what's wrong! You
can get the same files directly from the LibO website, but that does not
solve the mystery at OOoAuthors.

Last thought... you said you can see the Review List. Do you see a bunch
of LibO files on the list? What happens if you click on them? Can you
get to the LibO folders that way?

--Jean

Hi Jean,

Hi Andy,

> > Hi,

[...]

> Sigrid,
>
> Link works for me.

Thanks Andy.

What I find very strange is, that I have manager rights on oooauthors,
I see the review list, but I can't see this folder.

I checked the rights that I had, changed them, logged off and on again
- and still nothing changed. I can't see any content in this folder.

Btw, I also don't see an "English" folder in the left bar when I go to
oooauthors, I only see it, when I add /english to the url manually.

That's so strange.

Sigrid

Hi Sigrid,

That really is very strange, because as you said you do have manager
rights (and all the other rights), just as you have had for years. I
have now checked your permissions and they haven't changed.

They were changed. I only had the manager role and nothing else. I
changed this and logged off and on again.

You could clear your browser's cache and/or try a different browser, but
you have probably thought of that already.

I did neither, but I did tell my browser to do a true reload. But I
will try again later at home.

Here are two direct links into the folders where the LibO GS files are
stored. Can you see these folders and files from a direct link?

http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3/getting-started/draft-lo3.3

http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3/getting-started/feedback-lo3.3

On my netbook those links work for me and I can see the files in there.

The files Ron has worked on are in feedback-lo3.3; the ones he has not
done yet are in draft-lo3.3.

If all those suggestions don't work... I have no idea what's wrong! You
can get the same files directly from the LibO website, but that does not
solve the mystery at OOoAuthors.

Last thought... you said you can see the Review List. Do you see a bunch
of LibO files on the list? What happens if you click on them? Can you
get to the LibO folders that way?

I thought of going through the review list, but even there, I don't
see any LibO related files. This is indeed very strange. I am using
the same browser (chromium) on both computers. I will try again once
I'm back home. :wink:

Sigrid

Hi Ron, :slight_smile:

I will post them all to the wiki if that's where the group wants to host
them. Just let me know.

If we're talking about documentation for LibreOffice, it seems to me
to be logical that there should be a copy on the LibO wiki... But if
you or others prefer to use oooauthors.org as your workbench then,
obviously, it's up to you - it's your time and work. :wink:

Myself, I'll be maintaining the LibO wiki, so I'll check at oooauthors
myself to see if there's stuff there.

David Nelson

Hi Sigrid, :slight_smile:

I wanted to check a few of the chapters, that Ron ported from OOo to
LibO. When I logged in at oooauthors, I couldn't find the folder given
in this link:

If you're planning to do proofreading on documentation, may I just
voice my 2 cents?

Since you're a German speaker who speaks good English but not as a
mother tongue, I'd say that your best contribution to documentation
would be to copy-write - in either English or German - but to leave
proofreading and editing any English stuff to someone of English
mother tongue. That way we'll arrive at the best quality. Anything in
English you proofread will just have to be proofread again
afterwards...

Maybe it would be a more profitable use of your time and skills if you
decided to *write* one of the missing chapters?

What do you think?

David Nelson

IMO the first thing needed for the LibO docs is REVIEWING (to see that
the content is accurate), after which comes editing (which is probably
what everyone erroneously calls "proofreading").

Sigrid would be excellent at REVIEWING; that is, spotting what needs
to be changed from the OOo docs to turn them into LibO docs, since she
is very familiar with OOo. I suspect that is what she has in mind to
do.

Actually, from working with Sigrid over the past 6? longer? years, I
can say that she will do an excellent job regardless of how she
chooses to contribute. :slight_smile: Including, perhaps, writing up some of the
LibO features that are not part of OOo... though that might not
require separate chapters, but rather additional sections in existing
chapters.

--Jean

Hi, :slight_smile:

IMO the first thing needed for the LibO docs is REVIEWING (to see that
the content is accurate), after which comes editing (which is probably
what everyone erroneously calls "proofreading").

Sigrid would be excellent at REVIEWING; that is, spotting what needs
to be changed from the OOo docs to turn them into LibO docs, since she
is very familiar with OOo. I suspect that is what she has in mind to
do.

Actually, from working with Sigrid over the past 6? longer? years, I
can say that she will do an excellent job regardless of how she
chooses to contribute. :slight_smile: Including, perhaps, writing up some of the
LibO features that are not part of OOo... though that might not
require separate chapters, but rather additional sections in existing
chapters.

OK, guys, do what you think. :wink: It's your time, so use it the way you want. :wink:

(David mutters, "Damned cats!")

David Nelson

David Nelson wrote:

OK, guys, do what you think. :wink: It's your time, so use it the way you want. :wink:

(David mutters, "Damned cats!")

Meow! <Flicks tail>

Hi, :slight_smile:

David Nelson wrote:

OK, guys, do what you think. :wink: It's your time, so use it the way you want. :wink:

(David mutters, "Damned cats!")

Meow! <Flicks tail>

I'm smiling with you, Jean. But I do think this: you're not committed
to TDF and the LibreOffice, you're standing in the middle between the
two. Me, I want to see TDF succeed, and I'm willing to devote time and
work to that (and I am doing it right at this time). I'm a little sad
that you're not contributing to that. Just *my* 2 cents. :wink:

David Nelson

Hi David,
I was talking about the screenshots. I did finish loading all that I've done so far to OOoAuthors. Wasn't sure if the wiki was the best place for those, but will put them anywhere you like.

Rrruff. Can the dogs play here too?
Ron

I think the most useful thing I can do is just what I am doing: updating
OOo user guides, which the LibO team can (if they choose) then port to
LibO in whatever form the team decides.

--Jean

Hi Ron, :slight_smile:

I was talking about the screenshots. I did finish loading all that I've done
so far to OOoAuthors. Wasn't sure if the wiki was the best place for those,
but will put them anywhere you like.

Might I suggest that you post the material on your user page on the
wiki, and that I could come along after that and figure out what the
best solution would be?

In any case, on behalf of all the users out there, thanks for all your work. :wink:

David Nelson