Suggestion for updates to LibO user guides

The draft chapters for Getting Started with LibO were based on the draft
chapters for OOo 3.3. The OOo 3.3 book has now been completed. Most
chapters had some changes; some chapters had major changes. Most of
these changes are relevant for LibO as well.

Someone should compare the draft LibO chapters to the published GS with
OOo 3.3 chapters and incorporate any changes that are relevant to LibO.
You might find the Edit > Compare feature useful to quickly spot the
places where changes have been made.

Regarding the template: Font size of heading levels 3 and 4 are way too
small. May be other issues; I didn't look closely.

First paragraph of the body of the document (following the TOC) should
be set to start on a new page with page style LibOPageStyle. In Chapter
1 the whole document continues in page style LibOFrontMatter. I did not
look at other chapters.

--Jean

Earlier, I wrote:

The draft chapters for Getting Started with LibO were based on the draft
chapters for OOo 3.3. The OOo 3.3 book has now been completed. Most
chapters had some changes; some chapters had major changes. Most of
these changes are relevant for LibO as well.

Someone should compare the draft LibO chapters to the published GS with
OOo 3.3 chapters and incorporate any changes that are relevant to LibO.
You might find the Edit > Compare feature useful to quickly spot the
places where changes have been made.

Sorry, I intended to include a link to where to find the published
chapters of Getting Started with OOo:
http://www.oooauthors.org/english/userguide3/gs3/V3_3_revisions

You do not need to have an OOoAuthors login or the "author" role to
access those files.

However, to help others know which LibO chapter files you are working
on, it's useful to have a login and author role so you can retract the
LibO files (which takes them off the Review List while working on them)
and upload the revised files to the OOoAuthors website as well as to the
LibO site. Otherwise, please mention on this list what you are working
on, so someone else can keep the OOoAuthors website up to date.

LibO files are here:
http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3/getting-started
Some are in the Draft folder; some are in the Feedback folder. Ron has
done some work on the ones in Feedback, but I don't think he's had a
chance to incorporate the last-minute changes from the OOo chapters.

--Jean

Regarding the problem I was having with the page styles not applying like they are supposed to:
I've narrowed it down to the LibO files I've been working with. The OOo chapters don't have this problem. I think what happened is that early on I would sometimes do a select all and ctrl-c to copy all the text in a file and this crashed my installation of LibO repeatedly. I think this may have caused the problem with the files. David said he thought he noticed this too.

So in that regard I would like to suggest that we start fresh from the OOo guide files. This would also help get the files up to date and be a better basis than what I've been working on. Like you said Jean about using the compare feature, we could take any worthwhile changes I've made and add them to the updated OOo files. What do you all think?

If we did do this, what would be the best way to go about it? The new OOo guides are nice. From what I see, we would only need to change things like the logo, name, font, web addresses, screenshots and the like to get them up to speed.

Ron

You would need to do more than that, at least in some of the chapters,
but it still might be faster to start anew from the OOo chapters.

If you do, then DO NOT copy the contents into a new file based on the
new template. Instead, use File > Templates > Assign Template in the OOo
file to assign the LibO template to it, then do any further tweaking
that may be necessary. But first -- name the template WITHOUT a date as
part of the filename so further tweaks to the template can be applied
automatically to the chapter files. (Anyone reading this who is
unfamiliar with the proper use of templates for updating documents is
encouraged to read Ch3 of the Getting Started guide.)

BTW, although the OOo Getting Started book is published, the OOo Writer
Guide is still under development. I'm hoping to get the last of my
updates ready for review within the next few days, so you might want to
hold off on further work on the LibO Writer Guide chapters until then.
Meanwhile, I will nag the OOoAuthors team to review what I've already
done on the Writer Guide.

--Jean