Proofreading of the Getting Started Guide

Hi, :slight_smile:

I proofread the draft for Chapter 1 of the Getting Started Guide
(0101GS3-IntroducingLibO draft RMF 20101031.odt) and uploaded the
edited version to the wiki.

I have:

- corrected some minor spelling mistakes;
- made some minor grammar changes;
- made a few changes to the formulation of some sentences;
- added comments in some places, for further attention;
- in a few sub-titles, adjusted font colors to be consistent with the
preceding\following titles.

Maybe you'd like to take a look? If you're OK with what I've done,
I'll continue working through the other chapters.

Feel free to mail me back privately.

HTH.

David Nelson

Hi, :slight_smile:

I'll be uploading my proofread chapter 2 in a couple of hours.

Meanwhile, a couple of questions:

1) For international English, I feel that "dialog box" might be a
better choice than just "dialog". Reactions from docs people?

2) Chapter 2 is entitled "Setting up". IMHO, for an international
audience, I feel that "Configuration settings" or "Configuration"
might be better. Opinions?

In either case, I'll be happy to propagate the associated changes in
the other docs if there seems to be a green light...

David Nelson

I'll be uploading my proofread chapter 2 in a couple of hours.

Meanwhile, a couple of questions:

1) For international English, I feel that "dialog box" might be a
better choice than just "dialog". Reactions from docs people?

We've had constant debates about this at OOoAuthors. I (and a few
others) think "box" is just noise but the consensus seems to be to
continue using it. Some of the OOo books use "dialog" and some use
"dialog box" but we'll probably start moving them all to "dialog box"
while updating them.

2) Chapter 2 is entitled "Setting up". IMHO, for an international
audience, I feel that "Configuration settings" or "Configuration"
might be better. Opinions?

We tried to stick to common terms, and "setup" is, I think, commonly
used worldwide. Configuration is a more formal term that IMO sounds very
geeky to many people.

In either case, I'll be happy to propagate the associated changes in
the other docs if there seems to be a green light...

--Jean

Hi, :slight_smile:

I'll be uploading my proofread chapter 2 in a couple of hours.

Meanwhile, a couple of questions:

1) For international English, I feel that "dialog box" might be a
better choice than just "dialog". Reactions from docs people?

2) Chapter 2 is entitled "Setting up". IMHO, for an international
audience, I feel that "Configuration settings" or "Configuration"
might be better. Opinions?

"Setting up" is best from the broader audience point of view, not all are
power users.

Cheers
GL

Hi, :slight_smile:

On the cover page there is a field at the end of the line "Getting
Started Guide" which hides that line on the title page of a chapter when
it is part of a book. IMO that line is redundant in a full book. Of
course you may prefer to have that line on each chapter in a compiled
book, in which case by all means delete that field.

Of more importance: there are two blank spaces before the name of the
chapter. These are essential for correct spacing of elements in the
footer when the chapter is part of a compiled book (using a master
document).

OK, noted. Should I assume you'll be acting as final editor? In which
case, can I leave it to you to reinsert the deleted field, since I
don't have a sample of what to reinsert... Otherwise, maybe you could
do it for the Chapter 1 that I posted on the LibO wiki, and I'll
propagate it to any other chapters it's been deleted from?

David Nelson

Hi, :slight_smile:

> On the cover page there is a field at the end of the line "Getting
> Started Guide" which hides that line on the title page of a chapter when
> it is part of a book. IMO that line is redundant in a full book. Of
> course you may prefer to have that line on each chapter in a compiled
> book, in which case by all means delete that field.
>
> Of more importance: there are two blank spaces before the name of the
> chapter. These are essential for correct spacing of elements in the
> footer when the chapter is part of a compiled book (using a master
> document).

OK, noted. Should I assume you'll be acting as final editor?

I sure hope not! I spend too much time at the computer already (my
doctor keeps telling me not to do that).

In which
case, can I leave it to you to reinsert the deleted field, since I
don't have a sample of what to reinsert... Otherwise, maybe you could
do it for the Chapter 1 that I posted on the LibO wiki, and I'll
propagate it to any other chapters it's been deleted from?

It should be in the other chapters that Ron hasn't edited.

--Jean

Hi Jean, :slight_smile:

It should be in the other chapters that Ron hasn't edited.

OK, I'll find it and upload an updated version of Chapter 1 too. :slight_smile:

David Nelson

Hi, :slight_smile:

We've had constant debates about this at OOoAuthors. I (and a few
others) think "box" is just noise but the consensus seems to be to
continue using it. Some of the OOo books use "dialog" and some use
"dialog box" but we'll probably start moving them all to "dialog box"
while updating them.

OK, I'll go with "dialog box" and leave "Setting up" alone.

David Nelson