Wishing to help

I spent a lot of time desiring to help with OOo documentation, and not doing
anything about it. Now with LibreO, I would like to take the step.

Please direct me to a good starting point.

Art Alexion

This wiki page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation#Wish_List_for_User_Documentation

The user guide work is being done, at least for now, through the
independent OOoAuthors group and website.

Everything else is in the wish list stage, until enough people are
available to implement items on the list. OOo never has enough people to
keep things up to date and organised, for example the FAQs.

--Jean

A bit general. Are there sub-groups working on those general categories
from whom specific needs can be determined? For example, a list like,
"Tables, in online help, needs to be updated for the changes in the current
version" Anything that specific?

Not yet. I hurled up that page just to have somewhere to start. I don't
know how many people are going to be involved here or what they will end
up doing. There are very few active members of the user documentation
team at OOo, out of hundreds of people who have indicated interest. I
don't expect much difference here, but I would love to be wrong! So
what's needed, and what's a nice to have, is always at the mercy of who
is available to actually do the work. Proactive people, who can see a
need and do something about filling it, are particularly welcome.

Regarding the online Help, specifically: I'm not sure how that will be
handled here in terms of volunteer involvement, considering that the
files are shipped as part of the program. I hope one of the Help people
will fill us in.

--Jean

I spent a lot of time desiring to help with OOo documentation, and not

doing

anything about it. Now with LibreO, I would like to take the step.

Please direct me to a good starting point.

Art Alexion

This wiki page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation#Wish_List_for_User_Documentation

The user guide work is being done, at least for now, through the
independent OOoAuthors group and website.

There are no files under English / LibreOffice / Getting Started. Is
this correct, or am I looking in the wrong place. If indeed, the work
has not started, does one just download the corresponding OO.o 3.2
document in odt format and keep replacing Open with Libre, or do we
start from scratch? Lots of questions since I am pretty much lost here.

Running LO Beta2,
Div.

- --
*Divakar Ramachandran* Anupuram, TN 603127, _INDIA_

There will be slightly more work that just OpenOffice.org to LibreOffice. All the screen shots will have to be redone for one. Checks for menu changes and the like will also have to be done.

Andy

There are files. They are drafts, so only people with "Author" access at
OOoAuthors can see and download them.[1] Some instructions for using the
OOoAuthors website are in two files that anyone can see and download:

Introducing OOoAuthors
http://www.oooauthors.org/english/userguide3/res3/intro-oooauthors.odt/view

Producing User Guides
http://www.oooauthors.org/english/userguide3/res3/producing-ooo-ugs.odt/view

These instructions include: register at OOoAuthors and ask for theAuthor
role.[2]

--Jean

[1] We are using the (independent) OOoAuthors website because it's there
and a good starting point for the LibO user guides is the OOo ones. Our
procedure is to keep drafts within the community, track their progress
through review and revision, and only make them publicly visible when
they are published.
[2] I know it's confusing, especially because the info on the LibO wiki
is so brief. However, the first page of the OOoAuthors website does
point people to the two docs linked above and gives a bit of other intro
to the website.

Andy,
Actually, no, many if not most of the screenshots work for both OOo and
LibO. Only the ones that show the name of the program, and those where
the fields are different, need to be redone at this time.

But you are right: everything needs to be checked! And that's why the
files are drafts and are only visible to people who are logged in and
have the right privileges.

Div, more info:
None of the user guides for LibO need to start from scratch. Our plan is
to start with the existing OOo guides, update them to OOo3.3 and then
revise them as needed for LibO 3.3. Of course there is no reason why
someone can't take an existing OOo chapter, update/revise it for LibO
3.3 and then someone amend it for OOo 3.3, but it seems to me most
efficient to go from OOo to LibO -- at this point. In future, who knows?
Whatever works, works. I try to encourage and coordinate, but not
dictate. Also known as herding cats, or butterflies!

--Jean