Question on LibO versioning scheme

Hello All,

Not too sure if this is the right list, but I guess you have to start from somewhere. Also, it may very well be that everything is already in place (things have moved quite quickly recently), in which case please accept my apologies.

I have been a volunteer in OOoAuthors for some time now, but I am quite interested in giving a hand in developing the documentation for LibO.
At present thanks to the OOoAuthors website and thanks to the great job that Jean is doing, we have a set of well oiled mechanisms and procedures as well as many resources on the openoffice.org web site coupled with a well established working method to help us.

Particularly with regards to the last two points, I am wondering then if we will be able to rely on the same "service level" when migrating to LibO.

Here's a (non exhaustive?) list of things that I think would be very useful

1. Release schedule (of course approximate) and version numbering scheme
- this would allow some planning (e.g. only update the documentation for major releases)
2. List of new features and enhancements contained in the release
- The OpenOffice.org release notes are quite useful as they list all the new features integrated with links to the corresponding issue (if any) and specifications (if any).
3. List of bugs that have been squashed in the release
- again OpenOffice.org provides an excellent tool. The current bugzilla hosted by bugs.freedesktop.org is OK but it seems to have a reduced number of functionality (e.g. search, voting, target)
4. Changes to the online help
- often the online help is a good starting point when preparing the guides.

Cheers,

Michele

Hi Michele,

you wrote:

1. Release schedule (of course approximate) and version numbering scheme
- this would allow some planning (e.g. only update the documentation
for major releases)

Things are a bit in flux still, but for 3.3, we'll be rather close
to the OpenOffice.org release.

2. List of new features and enhancements contained in the release
- The OpenOffice.org release notes are quite useful as they list all
the new features integrated with links to the corresponding issue
(if any) and specifications (if any).

We'll be doing the same - see e.g. my postings to the libreoffice
dev list, and the NEWS file in the source repo:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2010-October/000311.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2010-October/000812.html

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/build/commit/?id=66715ec5f0765e4ffae1296e0dc5c7cccd0df9aa

3. List of bugs that have been squashed in the release
- again OpenOffice.org provides an excellent tool. The current
bugzilla hosted by bugs.freedesktop.org is OK but it seems to have a
reduced number of functionality (e.g. search, voting, target)

The list of fixed bugs is relatively easy to extract from the
commits - we kind of have to merge that with the OpenOffice.org
fixes of course.

HTH,

-- Thorsten