Reusing material from OpenOffice.org

Hi Jean,

Thank you for setting this mailing list up!

Are there any possibilities of reusing material from the OOo Documentation project, and completing them with the differences for LibreOffice, such as features, fixes etc? That way we have a good starting material to work with when adapting them to our version?

Best regards

Per Eriksson

Hi, Per!
I didn't set the list up, but I expect to be seen around here a lot. :slight_smile:

The short answer to your question is: yes! In fact, this has already
begun. The longer answer...

As you probably know, the user guides from the OOo Documentation Project
are produced by the OOoAuthors group, which is a community group with
its own website. We have been talking about making some changes in the
ODT files to make it easier for people to reuse those files for LibO
(things like using a variable for the name of the program) but we have
not done that yet.

Meanwhile, I have already produced a draft template for LibO user guides
and a set of draft files for the Getting Started with LibO guide. A few
pictures need to be replaced, and the chapters all need to be reviewed,
but most of the work has been done -- except for the chapter on printing
which needs to be rewritten, and someone is working on that.

The other books (Writer Guide, Calc Guide, etc) will need more additions
and changes but I (or anyone) can easily start with the OOo chapters.
The group is busy updating all the books to OOoV3.3 so they will be a
good starting point for LibO docs. Of course the more people who help,
the faster the work will go.

The files are here: http://www.oooauthors.org/english/libreoffice3
They can be seen and downloaded by people who have joined the OOoAuthors
website and requested the "author" role, which carries the required
permissions. This is because they are drafts. Published chapters can be
seen by anyone. This practice can be changed to make drafts available to
anyone, if the group prefers. We are very flexible!

And, I'm sure, at some point we will discuss whether to continue working
primarily for OOo Docs or change to working mostly for LibO Docs. Either
way, the files should be useful as a starting point for either product,
or for NeoOffice and the others.

--Jean

Hi Jean,

What are the possibillites of distributing the documentation under a license that is liked by the OOoAuthors community? Would it be possible to offer them the same possibillities here?

Has the license related issues been discussed within our community yet?

I would love to contributing to the effort and meanwhile making it as easy as possible to exchange information between eachother. =)

What I think it important also is the installation instructions, as the software are alittle different from vanilla OOo and users might be curious whether there are any differences. Would it be something to start working some on? :slight_smile:

Best regards

Per