Base v7.3: Chapter 1 - BG7301

Greetings - I am checking out Base v7.3 BG7301 Chapter 1 for first review.

Thank you

-Dev

Hi Dev,

I think the tracking spreadsheet already showed you having checked the document out? Not a problem, just a misunderstanding - probably arising from your recent email problem.

Regards,

Steve

My apologies, Steve. I did not notify the check-out information, hence the earlier email.

Thank you

Warm Regards

-Dev

Hello everyone,

While updating Chapter 1, I created bespoke versions of the Media_without_Macros and Example_Sport databases to support the generation of new, "anglicized" images.

The ODB files for these two updated databases are in an obviously-named subfolder of the Work in Progress folder.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Dev,

Many thanks for returning your comments on Chapter 1.

I will address all of the comments that I have received on the latest draft of this chapter in the next few days.

Regards,

Steve

Hello everybody.

Many thanks to Dev, Robert, and Flywire for providing helpful comments on draft Chapter 1 of the 7.3 Base Guide.

I have considered all comments and produced an updated version of the document, which can be found in NextCloud. Changes to address all agreed comments have been made with track changes on. Please note however that the images for Figures 19, 53, 57, 81, 85 have been replaced but these modifications don’t appear to be recognized as tracked changes.

It would be very helpful if Dev, Robert, and Flywire could check this updated version to see if they are happy with the changes. Can I suggest that we discuss any residual issues in this email list rather than editing the document further? I can then update it again if required.

My current thoughts are that this chapter has now had a good review by multiple people, and it probably isn’t worth a formal 2nd review cycle. Does anybody disagree?

Regards,

Steve

Two quick comments:

   1. p4 Database Creation: New embedded HSQLDB databases can be created
   using the built-in database engine. (An embedded database engine doesn't
   imply an embedded database, needs to be contrasted with an external
   database.)
   2. p6 add sqlite ??

Regards

Steve,
A few comments, related to macOS.

1) Table on Copyright page for macOS equivalents needs updating with a
row for Alt:
Alt ⌥ (Option) Used with other keys

Also, the width of the columns in that table could be improved.

2) On pages 6-7, info on Java needs a few words about macOS. Here is
what I wrote for Getting Started 7.3, based on current info (older
editions of GS had an out-of-date link):

For macOS, you need to install Oracle’s Java Development Kit (JDK),
not just the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Download links can be
found at: https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/downloads/#jdk17-mac

Jean

Thanks for the comments.

I have (hopefully) clarified the text for your first suggestion.

I haven't made a change for this second point. The three database systems currently in the brief list on this page are those for which we have a direct connection route (as described in Chapter 2). As I understand it Base does not offer a direct connection to SQLite but connections are via ODBC - this is covered by the paragraph after the bullet points mentioned.

Regards,

Steve

Hello everybody,

I have updated Chapter 1 to address the additional comments raised and, assuming that it has had sufficient reviewing now, have placed the updated file in the Published folder.

Regards,

Steve