Math Guide for 7.x?

Is anyone updating the Math Guide for 7.x? The last time I looked at a
published copy, I noticed some formatting problems in some of the tables
that I’d be happy to fix before a new edition is published, if someone
else doesn’t fix them first.

Jean

Hi Jean,

I took a look at the release notes and a few minor changes were made to LO
Math since 7.0.
- 7.1: Math has now a full support of HTML colors
- 7.2: It's now possible to scale the code input box.
- 7.3: Nothing so far

If you can do the initial updating of the chapters, I'll be happy to review
them.

Regards,
Rafael Lima

Is anyone updating the Math Guide for 7.x? The last time I looked at a
published copy, I noticed some formatting problems in some of the tables
that I’d be happy to fix before a new edition is published, if someone
else doesn’t fix them first.

> Hi Jean,
>
> I took a look at the release notes and a few minor changes were made to LO
> Math since 7.0.
> - 7.1: Math has now a full support of HTML colors
> - 7.2: It's now possible to scale the code input box.
> - 7.3: Nothing so far
>
> If you can do the initial updating of the chapters, I'll be happy to review
> them.
>
> Regards,
> Rafael Lima

Hmm, the release notes seem to be lacking in this department. Dante has done quite a lot of work on Math and support for MathML. Most of it has been internal improvements & refactoring, though, not user-facing.

https://git.libreoffice.org/core/+log?pretty=oneline&author=dante19031999%40gmail.com

I'm not really capable of summarising. I guess Dante himself would be the best person to explain. Something I've written on the QA blog:

https://qa.blog.documentfoundation.org/2021/01/08/qa-dev-report-december-2020/

Dante Doménech worked on support for MathML custom entities and improved fastparser

https://qa.blog.documentfoundation.org/2020/12/04/qa-dev-report-november-2020/

Dante Doménech made many improvements to Math: he added hexadecimal number and colour support, added command for frac and evaluate, renovated examples and greatly improved colour support (also with MathML)

Ilmari

OmetgaT: the Math guide is very similar to Math chapter in GS guide (it is
only extended in some parts) - but GS chapter got thoroughly revised by the
reviewers (regarding wording) from 7.0 (I think), while the Math guide
remained the same.
So it would be great to see the differences from 7.2 Math GS chapter and
the 7.0 Math guide - IMHO, that would be the first step for an updater.

Lp,m.

napisala:

Thanks, Martin, Ilmari, Rafael. I agree the wording of the Math Guide
should be revised to match the GS chapter.

I am willing to take on the updating and revision of this book for LO
7.2. I will look into the topics Ilmari mentions, as well as what's in
the Release Notes.

Jean

Ilmari mentioned that Dante added commands for frac and evaluate. Can
someone tell me which of the tables in Appendix A of the Math Guide
these commands should go in, and can someone give me an example to go
in those tables? I've been poking around looking for this information
but haven't found it.

Thanks.
Jean