HEADS UP! File Sharing in NextCloud - Please READ.

HI Authors

tl;dr (*): "LibreOffice Documentation" group folder file sharing has been re-enabled but Authors "MUST NOT use the input field “Name, email, or Federated Cloud ID” to create named shares."

Long story:

Our NextCloud service was recently reconfigured to fix an issue on sharing files from the /LibreOffice Documentation/ group folder (/LD/).

A quick fix approach was to block sharing files from the LD group folder and locate the offending share in the database. The LD group folder was set read-only to the general Nextcloud users but only the odfauthors group members are allowed to write/upload/edit files in the LD group folder.

However this also broke the public sharing, in which our documents were exposed for download by the general public. Many pages and web contents linked to publicly shared NextCloud contents and these links were then broken.

So we reverted the block and re-enabled the file sharing, included the public file sharing.

Here is the message from Guilhem, our infra leader:

"Re-enabled sharing for now… But odfauthors need to make sure they NEVER share to Nextcloud groups or named individuals. Generic share links generated with the “Share link” button seem to be harmless, but they MUST NOT use the input field “Name, email, or Federated Cloud ID” to create named shares."

So please let's pay attention to sharing files from the LibreOffice Documentation group folder. Guilhem indicated that it looks like a Nextcloud bug or issue and to fix a sharing issue like this requires his intervention directly in NextCloud control database, a maneuver far from trivial, critical, dangerous, time consuming and absolutely not advisable.

Kind regards

(*)too long; didn't read

Hi Oliver

I am very happy that external sharing has been restored.
Thank you very much for your mediation.

Kind regards,
Kees