Improper use of embedvars in online help content

Hello,

for some time now I notice that help writers keep using embedvars to
simplify their work. These not only make help unreadable for localizers
(and thus prone to errors in localization), but introduce errors, as the
use of embedvars in sentences is not allowed for languages with cases (like
Slavic languages).

I urge online help writers not to use embedvars, even if that means some
more spelling out of function and command names. Also, please do include
this warning to any wiki or other documentation for future help
contributors, *in bold*.

I collected a list of all errors I have found so far (it refers to master
as of October 15). My list is based on an assumption (which might not be
correct) that it is OK when an embedded link is used standalone, as in
/helpcontent2/source/text/sbasic/shared.po:
#. LDkTk
msgid "<embedvar href=\"text/sbasic/shared/03/sf_timer.xhp#TimerService\"/>"
But the assumption might be wrong for some languages and even mine, since
we are not aware what the referenced string spells out like – this form
requires nominative case, but maybe the original string is not in
nominative form ... There are plenty of those strings as well, sometimes
appearing as the last sentence in a help file string, as a reference at the
end of the help content paragraph.

The list includes several occurrences where embedvars are either at the
start or end of the string, but do not use a space before/after the rest of
the strings (I added the red comment note to those).

Whoever will be fixing these errors in master, please contact the original
authors of the erroneous strings to warn them about these errors, so they
stop doing it.

Lp, m.

Hi Martin,

I'll take care of fixing these issues on master.

I was responsible for introducing some of these errors... Now I see that
this is troublesome for translators and future help pages won't have these
embedvars.

Let me know whenever you come across issues like these.

Regards,
Rafael Lima

Hi Rafael

Some of these embed were already fixed 2 weeks ago

https://git.libreoffice.org/help/+/336a1a866e9b84a929e9d4403564e37947a0eba3^!/

regards
Olivier

Hi, Olivier,

as I wrote, these errors are in the master, they were on October 15, four
days ago (that's the po files I used for my analysis).

The ones you fixed are other errors of the same kind that I reported
earlied (and then you asked me if I find any more to report here).

So - all today reported ones are in the master unless someone changed
master in the last few days.

Lp, m.

V V tor., 19. okt. 2021 ob 16:14 je oseba Olivier Hallot <