LibreOffice - writer

I have just downloaded Libreoffice 7.2. It does very strange things:

I am on a MacBook Pro, operating system is 11.5.2. I can save anything as a template. When loading a file that I want to use as a template (in this case a letterhead) I can type a word or phrase, when I want to edit what I have typed the cursor goes to the front of the phrase or words typed and will not permit me to edit or alter the previously typed text, Why?

There is no way to save or set up a template, such as a letterhead or form, contrary Documentation.

Options does not exist.

How do I change any of this to really use the system? I have not gotten to the spread sheet. Yet!

Addendum: when trying to highlight a word or section the highlight function does its own thing! Highlighting a much larger area and encompassing significant unwanted material; why?

Attempting to copy and paste produces a line of gibberish.

Howard Fuller

Hello Howard

I am using LO 7.2 with macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 and do not get the behaviour that you have described. Suggest you remove LO 7.2 using one of the available removal apps and then reinstall LO7.2. I use AppCleaner.

I am creating LO user guide for Impress and Draw using LO Writer. This means that I am using an LO template for user guides. One thing about templates, is that if you make changes to the template and you cannot then save the template as the same template file. You have to Save As creating a new template file and select the Writer template format OTT.

I am not a software expert and do suggest that you raise a bug describing the problem.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Just to add two quick notes:

Howard, on MacOS, instead of Tools > Options you can access the setup and customization settings via LibreOffice > Preferences.

Also, for both Howard and Peter, this is a bit off-topic but Apple released a critical security update this week for MacOS, because of the FORCEDENTRY exploit which is being used in the wild. 11.5.2 is vulnerable and I'd strongly recommend you upgrade to Big Sur 11.6 asap! (Info about the exploit and its discovery and attribution are at https://citizenlab.ca/2021/09/forcedentry-nso-group-imessage-zero-click-exploit-captured-in-the-wild/. Citizen Lab does great work!)

Rachel Kartch
rachel@kartch.com

Hello Rachel

Thanks for the info. My Mac mini is now going to be updated.