Glue Points

I am trying to workout how glue points work in Impress and Draw.
Some explanation is required as the LO help on this subject is not very helpful (pardon the pun).

Glue Point Relative - maintains the relative position of a selected glue point when you resize an object.
What does this mean? What is the relative position?

Glue Point Horizontal left - when the object is resized, the current glue point remains fixed to the left edge of the object.
What does this mean?
Also applies to Glue Point Horizontal Center, Glue Point Horizontal Right, Glue Point Vertical Top, Glue Point Vertical Center, and Glue Point Vertical Bottom.

I have tried several times to work this out, but not having much success.

Help please.

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Hi Peter,

I am trying to workout how glue points work in Impress and Draw.
Some explanation is required as the LO help on this subject is not very helpful (pardon the pun).

Glue Point Relative - maintains the relative position of a selected glue point when you resize an object.
What does this mean? What is the relative position?

Glue Point Horizontal left - when the object is resized, the current glue point remains fixed to the left edge of the object.
What does this mean?
Also applies to Glue Point Horizontal Center, Glue Point Horizontal Right, Glue Point Vertical Top, Glue Point Vertical Center, and Glue Point Vertical Bottom.

I have tried several times to work this out, but not having much success.

Draw a square shape of edge length 4cm, for example. Click 'Glue Points' icon. That should open the toolbar 'Glue Points'; if not, open it from View > Toolbars. Make sure icon 'Insert Glue Point' is on (that is a toggle icon). Select the shape and click 1cm right and 1 cm down from the left/top corner to insert a glue point.
The default setting is that icon 'Glue Point Relative' (the % icon) is on. Drag the right edge of the square so that the shape becomes 12cm wide.
Notice that the glue point is no longer at position (1cm|1cm) in the rectangle, but it is at position (3cm|1cm). The position of the glue point is not fixes 1cm from the left, but it is at 25% of the shape size from the left. The position is relative to the shape size.

Make the above steps again. But before you drag the edge of the square we change this 'relative to shape size'. Make sure icon 'Insert Glue Point' is off (otherwise the next click would add a new glue point). Click the previously created glue point. Then click on the 'Glue Point Relative' icon to turn it off. When it is off, the icons right from it become active. Click on 'Glue Point Horizontal Left' icon.
Now again drag the right edge of the shape so that the shape becomes 12cm width. Notice that the glue point does not change its position. It is still 1cm right of the left edge of the shape. Now drag the left edge of the shape to reduce its width to 8cm. Now the glue point has moved so that it is still 1cm right from the left edge of the shape.
That means, that the glue point position is relative to the shape, but its position inside the shape has an absolute value.

Help please.

I hope it is clearer now.

Kind regards
Regina

Thanks Regina

I will use your info later this morning to get my thoughts in line so that I can change the information in the Impress Guide. The help definitely needs a similar explanation instead of the single sentence presently being used.

Regards