Math Greek Symbols Question

Hi all,

I am reviewing the math user guide and ran into something. When trying to
insert *italic lowercase* Greek symbols into the formula editor, the
resulting symbol is always italic. For example, if I write %ichi or %chi
using markup in the formula editor, the resulting symbols will look exactly
the same. I found that this is true if I am using the Mac or Windows
version of LO. Does this happen to anyone else? For additional context, I
am inserting these symbols into Writer. Thanks for your help!

All the best,
Mitch

*Mitchell Camfield, MEd*
Instructional Designer
University of Cincinnati, College of Nursing
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0038

Hi Mitch,

the behavior is determined by the property GreekCharStyle in the Expert Configuration.
Possible values are 0, 1 or 2. Meaning:
0 Both lower and upper greek characters are non-italic. To get italic use the variants with i.
      Example %omega, %OMEAGA non-italic, %iomega, %iOMEGA italic
1 All greek characters are italic.
2 Lower greek characters are italic. Upper greek characters are non-italic. The variants with i are always italic.

The style can be forced in all cases by using the attribute nitalic or italic, respectively.

The change of the value of GreekCharStyle becomes active only after restart of LibreOffice.

The default value is 2. I personally prefer value 0.

For testing you can copy&paste the following lines.
%omega %OMEGA %iomega %iOMEGA newline
nitalic %omega nitalic %OMEGA nitalic %iomega nitalic %iOMEGA newline
italic %omega italic %OMEGA italic %iomega italic %iOMEGA

Kind regards
Regina

Hi Regina,

Thank you for your thorough explanation! I was able to update my settings
in LibreOffice and everything is working now. I appreciate your assistance!

All the best,
Mitch

*Mitchell Camfield, MEd*
Instructional Designer
University of Cincinnati, College of Nursing
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0038

You have to enter the greek Capital letters in UPPERCASE to get what you are looking for.

%CHI

%iCHI