GS7008 Base

OK,

Working on it right now.
keep you posted. I will also upload an actual version of automobile.odb. This can be used when screenshots needs to be updated in the future. It saves some time I think.

I am using the automobile.odb from this page: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Automobile.odb made by Jean.

/Rob

Hi Rob,
How is this chapter coming along? Are you delayed with updating
screenshots? Or having some other problem?
If applying the new template is a problem, skip it. I can do that easily.
Jean

Hi Jean,

I'm very much delayed. Normally I can work on it in the weekend for some time...
If you can apply the template for me that would be nice. I hope to have the screenshots finished by the end of the weekend. Btw. found a (minor) mistake in a screens of Base as well....

/Rob

I have applied the v7 template and cleaned up some list numbering and
page breaks, but I have not otherwise reviewed it.
The file is in the WiP folder.
GS7008-GettingStartedWithBase-01-RW-JHW-20210130.odt

Considering all the delays, I recommend that someone review the
chapter in parallel with Rob redoing the screenshots.

This is the last chapter before the book can be compiled and published.

Jean

Hi Jean,

Should I put the new screenshots in the WIP folder?
Will do that tommorow evening.

Producing screenshots took a lot more time than expected :frowning:

/Rob

Rob,
Yes, thanks.
I think the Base screenshots are the most time-consuming, due to
setting up the scenarios from a real database -- not just taking a
picture of a dialog as is often the case for other components.

Jean

Hi Jean,

Placed some some screenshots in the WIP folder. It is still not complete.
Will complete the asap!

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,
I started dropping the replacement screenshots into the chapter. Some comments:
Figure 1: Text above figure says, "Make sure that the HSQLDB Embedded
entry is selected in the Embedded database drop-down menu" but the
replacement image (unlike the original image) shows the default
Firebird Embedded.
Figure 3 also shows Firebird Embedded in the status bar at the bottom.
If we're going to tell people to use HSQLDB (at least for the example
in this chapter), these two screenshots need to show that.
Other pix look okay.
Regards, Jean

Hi Jean,

whoops! I will correct them. Thanks for your comment....
/Rob

Hi Jean,

Did another check and and the table definition of "Payment Type" on page 15, just above "Defining relationships", is not correct. Field PaymentID is missing.

Table Payment Type contains 2 fields:
- PaymentID (Integer) Primary Key
- Type (Text)

/Rob

Hi Jean,

here are some updates of some images. I'm unable to upload them to nextcloud. So I'll share them via dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/afeoa4z49dy8ok7/Update_Base7.0.zip?dl=0

/Rob

Thanks, Rob. I've dropped them into the chapter and uploaded the
images and the updated chapter file to nextcloud. Still more to come?
All: This chapter is still looking for reviewers.
Jean

Hi Jean,

Working on the last part (report).
/Rob

Hi Jean,

Uploaded the last figures in a zip file into the WIP folder.

Best regards,

Rob

I have dropped all of the replacement figures into this chapter. It is
in the WiP folder.
If you've been waiting until all the figures were redone, now is the
time to review the chapter. Someone?
(Yes, I know many of you were otherwise occupied last week. I hope
you're back to documentation now.)

Jean

I have now reviewed this chapter. It needed only one small but
significant change (from a note from Rob earlier in this thread), plus
a few trivial changes, mostly to improve page breaks. I propose to
publish it, if no one objects within 72 hours. Then I will compile the
full GS book and publish that.

Jean

Just as a little reminder. Have these files been processed through Milos
Sramek's latest "odtclean.py" script:
https://github.com/milossramek/translation-scripts/tree/master/odtclean
Unless you have the facilities to run the script, I suggest you ask
Milos or Oliver to do this before publication.

Kind Regards
Dave

Thanks, Dave.
If someone will do this “cleanup” step, that would be great.
Milos? Olivier?
Jean

Hello Jean
I'll do it. Stay tuned.
Kind regards
Olivier

Hello Jean

The files were cleaned. No issues found.

The cleaned files are in the folder /cleaned/ in folder /Published/

I added a cleaned GS7008 chapter from WIP folder to the cleaned folder.

Kind regards
Olivier