Hi Celia,

I am not sure that the paragraph is obsolete.

Taking your example a little further, suppose one of the cells in the range B1:B13 contains the string "$Celia".

 * Firstly, let us assume that "No wildcards or regular expressions in
   formulas" is selected on the Tools > Options > LibreOffice Calc >
   Calculate dialog. Then the formula =COUNTIF(B1:B13,"$Celia") should
   give the expected value of 1.
 * If we now select "Enable regular expressions in formulas" on the
   Tools > Options > LibreOffice Calc > Calculate dialog, then the same
   formula (=COUNTIF(B1:B13,"$Celia")) gives the answer 0. Why? Because
   the $ is a special character.
 * With regular expressions still enabled, the formula
   =COUNTIF(B1:B13,"\$Celia") gives the answer 1 again. So the
   backslash is required before the $ so that the regex processor does
   not treat it as a special character.

I hope this makes sense and answers your question.

Regards,

Steve Fanning