GS7008 Base

Rob,
If you can replace the poor quality images quickly, that would be great.
Fixing the difference in icon sets is IMO less urgent because many other
chapters are also inconsistent, but still worth doing. Thanks!

Jean

Hi Jean,

OK, I will return the document next Friday or sooner.
/Rob

Hi Rob!

I was taking a look at the GS7008-GettingStartedWithBase_01-RW.odt file and
it seems you have not updated the template and the version numbers in the
File Properties fields. You also have to update the list of contributors'
names.

The new template is in the following Nextcloud folder:
/English/Contributor Resources/LibreOffice_7.x_Template.ott

Regards,

Rafael Lima

Hi Rafael,

I didn't knew I had to update the template and do all other stuff as this is my first real contribution on documenting.
I guess I can read on all the actions I have to make in the Contribution Guide??

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I recommend you read the following chapter of the Contributor's Guide:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/DocumentationTeamInfo/UsingGuideTemplate

Also, there are some instructions in the template file that are very useful.

If you'd like to check out the Documentation Team Wiki page, here's the
link:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Cheers,

Rafael Lima

Hi Rob,
How are you going with the images in this chapter?
Thanks!
Jean

Hi Jean,

Did not have time for it.
I also have to change the template... will do some work on it today.
I will let you know about the progress.

/Rob

Rob, please do not change the template as this breaks the structure of
the book when it comes time to publish the final book.

Maybe you can explain why you feel it is necessary to change the
template we all work with.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Copy/paste:

Rob, Dave is the confused person in this case. Please carry on.
Jean

Hi Rob,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I thought you were saying you wanted to
change the documentation template, when in fact you wanted to _APPLY_
the template to the chapter you were working on.

Regards
Dave

OK,

Working on it right now.
keep you posted. I will also upload an actual version of automobile.odb. This can be used when screenshots needs to be updated in the future. It saves some time I think.

I am using the automobile.odb from this page: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Automobile.odb made by Jean.

/Rob

Hi Rob,
How is this chapter coming along? Are you delayed with updating
screenshots? Or having some other problem?
If applying the new template is a problem, skip it. I can do that easily.
Jean

Hi Jean,

I'm very much delayed. Normally I can work on it in the weekend for some time...
If you can apply the template for me that would be nice. I hope to have the screenshots finished by the end of the weekend. Btw. found a (minor) mistake in a screens of Base as well....

/Rob

I have applied the v7 template and cleaned up some list numbering and
page breaks, but I have not otherwise reviewed it.
The file is in the WiP folder.
GS7008-GettingStartedWithBase-01-RW-JHW-20210130.odt

Considering all the delays, I recommend that someone review the
chapter in parallel with Rob redoing the screenshots.

This is the last chapter before the book can be compiled and published.

Jean

Hi Jean,

Should I put the new screenshots in the WIP folder?
Will do that tommorow evening.

Producing screenshots took a lot more time than expected :frowning:

/Rob

Rob,
Yes, thanks.
I think the Base screenshots are the most time-consuming, due to
setting up the scenarios from a real database -- not just taking a
picture of a dialog as is often the case for other components.

Jean

Hi Jean,

Placed some some screenshots in the WIP folder. It is still not complete.
Will complete the asap!

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,
I started dropping the replacement screenshots into the chapter. Some comments:
Figure 1: Text above figure says, "Make sure that the HSQLDB Embedded
entry is selected in the Embedded database drop-down menu" but the
replacement image (unlike the original image) shows the default
Firebird Embedded.
Figure 3 also shows Firebird Embedded in the status bar at the bottom.
If we're going to tell people to use HSQLDB (at least for the example
in this chapter), these two screenshots need to show that.
Other pix look okay.
Regards, Jean

Hi Jean,

whoops! I will correct them. Thanks for your comment....
/Rob