On 1/4/21 1:43 PM, Dan Lewis wrote:
I use LibreOffice 7.0.0.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 (up to date). After
installing this extension and then opened a new document in Writer.

  I typed the following sentence with direct formatting of all
character styles used in it: The sly red fox *jumped* over the lazy
brown dog. None of these character styles were highlighted.
The extension cannot highlight direct formatting

This time I typed the sentence again. This time I applied the
character styles for these three words (red, jumped, brown). I got the
following result when using this extension to highlight character styles.

The sly /red/ fox *jumped* over the lazy /brown/ dog.

This is the opposite of what we want. Direct formatting of character
styles need to be removed: character styles found in the Style toolbar
in the Character styles list (right side of the Writer window)are to
be kept. My firs example should have red, jumped, and brown should
have been highlighted. In the second example, there should not have
been any highlighting.

I have no idea, how to implement that.

The extension helps by highlighting used styles - if something is
formatted but not highlighted then one should replace that direct
formatting by an appropriate style.

The real problem for translators is not that something is formatted
without using a style. The problem resides in that there may be nearly
countless invisible direct formattings, which "pollute" the strings to
be translated and make translation extremely complicated if not
impossible. Because of this, one should use styles and then remove all
direct formatting.

This is an example from the LOOL guide. The <fx> are tag placeholders
displayed by OmegaT

The words Files, Toolbar and Sidebar were correctly using the Strong
Emphasis style. In spite of that there were direct formattings which did
not change appearance of the text:

Prior to cleaning:

<f0>When logging into </f0><f1>m</f1><f2>ost cloud services</f2><f3>,
you are often sent to the </f3><f4><f5>Files</f5></f4><f6> screen by
default. This screen consists of three main sections: a
</f6><f7><f8>Toolbar</f8></f7><f9> at the top, a
</f9><f10><f11>Sidebar</f11></f10><f12> to the left, and a list of files
and folders stored in your account in the
</f12><f13>c</f13><f14>loud</f14><f15> server in the center.</f15>

after cleaning:

When logging into most cloud services, you are often sent to the
<f0>Files</f0> screen by default. This screen consists of three main
sections: a <f1>Toolbar</f1> at the top, a <f2>Sidebar</f2> to the left,
and a list of files and folders stored in your account in the cloud
server in the center.

Milos

Dan

--