I use LibreOffice 7.0.0.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 (up to date). After installing this extension and then opened a new document in Writer.

  I typed the following sentence with direct formatting of all character styles used in it: The sly red fox *jumped* over the lazy brown dog. None of these character styles were highlighted.

This time I typed the sentence again. This time I applied the character styles for these three words (red, jumped, brown). I got the following result when using this extension to highlight character styles.

The sly /red/ fox *jumped* over the lazy /brown/ dog.

This is the opposite of what we want. Direct formatting of character styles need to be removed: character styles found in the Style toolbar in the Character styles list (right side of the Writer window)are to be kept. My firs example should have red, jumped, and brown should have been highlighted. In the second example, there should not have been any highlighting.

Dan