python documentation, a step up

Alain, Thanks for the welcome and links you sent.

If there are better locations to share the load of information in this mail, I would like to receive directions. As newbie I did not discover them.

For a quick digestion read the more fundamental question thrown at the bottom.

In the Q+A site there is a question about an autoincremented number inserted in a document (receipt or order) as a barcode. I answered the question in python code. The poster will be left with a working answer that he can not implement. The post is viewed about once a day.
The moderate BASIC user, posting a question, it the user I have in mind.
My own background is that i am not educated as a programmer, but I can teach myself new things, if information is available at the right starting level.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Macros/Python_Design_Guide -- Alain
I know the page. The page is loaded with information, and follows cocurrent and alternative paths, I find it not an easy step by step guide for a newbie. How to enter debug mode with APSO is not clear to me, the screenshot is suddenly there.
  Above pages confirm my impression that python users are in general educated programmers and know already the concepts and can work with it. The python rocket is ignited from the top of the himalaya. I would like to stay with the users in the valley and guide them a bit uphill and do the ignition there.
  https://gitlab.com/LibreOfficiant/scriptforge/-/tree/scriptforge-7-1/Help -- Alain
Is an interesting project, as I understand it, it will result in the 7.1 version to a list of macros in the 'LibreOffice macros' section. These macros in basic and python.

That will certainly be useful. However, I fear it will be restricted to LibreOffice functions only. It raises the strategic question:

?? Is the document foundation only responsible for documentation to run LibreOffice, or should we also include additional functionality: be more outreaching. Make that available in a tutorial: reading XML invoices, sending invoices directly to a customer, the barcode example given in the top.

If there is a strict border then I leave a major part out of the idea I have in mind.

You should phrase the question with "LibreOffice contributors" rather than TDF.

You were referring to the upcoming Help content for ScriptForge. Help content is dry and brief and should indeed describe the fundamental functionality. What you seem to be after are tutorials, which live in the wiki: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Macros
See the menu items "General Macros", "Macros for Writer" etc.

Ilmari

Hi Peter,

As suggested by Ilmari, writing tutorials in the wiki looks like the
appropriate approach as Python newbies are your intended audience. I
understand you seek for guidance, here's my take on a potential "Macros and
Scripting" tutorials page for Basic, Beanshell, (C++, Java,) Javascript, and
more precisely for Python:

- Running Python example scripts
  - using LibO UI
  - checking for/ installing Python scripting framework (may be included in
installation pages) on *nix platforms
  - APSO benefits here...

- Using the Python interactive console
  - native Python examples
    - e.g ScriptforgePythonHelper.py
  - typing Python UNO example scripts
    - import uno vs. XSCRIPTCONTEXT
  - APSO benefits here...
  - EDI benefits here..

- My first Python macro
  - Python script locations
  - executing from UI, fom console, from APSO
  - debugger benefits here...

- Debugging...
  - step by step execution with APSO
  - bridging an IDE with libO
  - to be continued...

Optionally for extensions:
- Installing APSO
- Installing Geany
- installing xRay, MRI

Let me know how you feel about that

Hi Alain and Ilmari,

Hi Peter,

As suggested by Ilmari, writing tutorials in the wiki looks like the
appropriate approach as Python newbies are your intended audience. I
understand you seek for guidance, here's my take on a potential "Macros and
Scripting" tutorials page for Basic, Beanshell, (C++, Java,) Javascript, and
more precisely for Python:

- Running Python example scripts
   - using LibO UI
   - checking for/ installing Python scripting framework (may be included in
installation pages) on *nix platforms

- Using the Python interactive console
   - native Python examples
     - e.g ScriptforgePythonHelper.py
   - typing Python UNO example scripts
     - import uno vs. XSCRIPTCONTEXT
   - APSO benefits here...
   - EDI benefits here..

I found it difficult to transfer what I had in mind via the mailing list. Therefore I have put my ideas in a document: python_ideas.odt

It is available in https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/apps/files/?dir=/LibreOffice%20Documentation/English/Contributor%20Resources&fileid=81380

It is an attempt to cover the things you suggested above.

It is a document of about eight pages, do not know whether that is suited for a wiki.

So now there is a concrete proposal to react on, it also reflects the level of my skills.

Open for comments on the approach taken, and corrections on  the content.

For the moment I will leave the other thread (on wiki.documentation) as it is.

regards peter