Contributors' Guide - Chapter 2

An updated version of Chapter 2 Producing LO Guides is now on NextCloud.
The updates to the chapter are from comments and suggestions made by Rafael.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

I have taken and reviewed the updated Chapter 2 Producing LO Guides, I
have not made any edits, so I did not turn track changes on. However I
have added many comments for consideration.
The previously updated chapter has been move to the "Archives" folder
and "2-ProducingLOGuides-PS-RL-PS-DB-20201222.odt" is now in the WIP
folder: https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/7kRae4WJ4w57tRH

Regards
Dave

Hi Dave! Hi Team!

I read all the comments made by Dave and I believe he pointed out some
important aspects that need to be improved. Next I will give feedback on
some of these aspects.

*1. Dave raised an issue regarding the requirement that contributors change
their language and icons settings to prepare/update/review guide chapters.*

I tend to agree with him that this might be an issue for some contributors,
because the need to constantly switch language and icons settings may be a
hurdle to some contributors. In my case I happen to use the US English
language by default in my system, so this has never been an issue for me.
However, it might be an issue for others.

On the other hand, having two separate installations of LibreOffice or
running it from within a VM are technically complex solutions. I am still
undecided as to which alternative would be the best to solve this issue.
Maybe having two installations will be simpler for most users.

*2. The "Enable macro recording (may be limited)" option may be unstable*

As far as I know, this is only used in the Getting Started with Macros
chapter of the Getting Started Guide. Maybe we could remove this from the
Contributor's Guide, because this option is used very rarely and may
confuse new contributors.

*3. Installing Liberation Fonts*

I have never seen an installation of LibreOffice that did not install the
Liberation fonts. Maybe we could drop the instructions on how to install
these fonts.

*4. As for screen capture software, Dave commented "Maybe the docs team
could make recommendations for open source or free software for this on the
supported operating systems"*

It would be great to provide some recommendations for new contributors. In
my case, I use *Flameshot* on Linux and it is a great tool for capturing
and cropping screenshots. On Windows there's a *Snipping Tool* that comes
preinstalled.

Cheers,

Rafael Lima

Hi Rafael, all

*4. As for screen capture software, Dave commented "Maybe the docs team
could make recommendations for open source or free software for this on the
supported operating systems"*

It would be great to provide some recommendations for new contributors. In
my case, I use *Flameshot* on Linux and it is a great tool for capturing
and cropping screenshots. On Windows there's a *Snipping Tool* that comes
preinstalled.

LibreOffice has its own (dialog) screen-shooting tool, described in

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Screenshots#Creating_screenshots_manually

I think it worth to mention that in the Contributor guide. The tool is
available in every operating system and takes the window manager theme
(colors, widget shape) in use.

Regards

Hi Rafael,

Hi Dave! Hi Team!

*4. As for screen capture software, Dave commented "Maybe the docs team
could make recommendations for open source or free software for this on the
supported operating systems"*

It would be great to provide some recommendations for new contributors. In
my case, I use *Flameshot* on Linux and it is a great tool for capturing
and cropping screenshots. On Windows there's a *Snipping Tool* that comes
preinstalled.

In Windows I use GreenShot ( https://getgreenshot.org/ ) a great snipping Tool, and Open Source as well.

Best Regards,

Rob

Hello

Just tried this Screenshot feature in LibreOffice. It does not work if you are using macOS. I have yet to try Windows and Ubunutu versions of LO.

You can right and select Screenshot, but you cannot select complete dialogs or the exact area you want to screenshot.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Hello

I have busted the LO screenshot advanced feature in Windows and Ubuntu. It does not work.

In Ubuntu I use Screenshot that comes with Ubuntu.
In Widows I use Snip & Sketch.
In macOS Use Screenshot which is an Apple utility.

All of these work perfectly in in capturing dialogs and specific areas. Then it is just a matter of saving the screenshot as a PNG file.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com