Word files - Application forms -

Hi All

I recently tried to open an application form (docx) and within the fields, the form has grey boxes, typing in to these you just get black text on the grey background. It is difficult to remove these grey boxes. or type without this issue coming up.

I would assume this is not meant to happen.

I have attached a screenshot to illustrate the issue, I decided to ask here, to see if anyone else could have a go and see if they get the same problem, then we can perhaps report it if it is due to a problem in LibreOffice.

I get this in both 6.x and 7.0 as both are installed (the latter is in a Snap package under Debian)

https://eatthatfrog.ac.uk/vacancies-2/

For reporting, for some strange reason, they have two e-mail addresses for vacancies / Human resources, I sent an e-mail to hr@ the other day and have just resent to recruitment@ no idea why there is two.

So perhaps send to both using cc,

hr@eatthatfrog.ac.uk
recruitment@eatthatfrog.ac.uk

Also included the link below to the UK guidance on file formats, they need to have their forms interoperable properly

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-open-document-formats-odf-in-your-organisation

I did ask them if this was the expected behaviour of the from, in my 2nd e-mail today I also suggested that if this is a problem I can look in to reporting the issue.

To me, this is about open standards and having forms / document that just work, so everyone has a chance to apply properly without this extra aggravation. We won't achieve that unless we start to raise these issues.

Anyway, a good chance to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and thanks if you can have a go with this please,

Regards

Paul Sutton

First, the documentation list is not user support, which is available
via users@global.libreoffice.org

Secondly this mailing list removes all attachments, so we don't get to
see them.

You provide a link to the UK Gov. Open Document ODF formats guidance,
but the outfit you are dealing with provides forms exclusively in
Microsoft OOXML (*.docx) format. If people want guaranteed 100% MS
compatibility, they should buy and use only Microsoft software.

If the grey backgrounds are a big issue for you, click the writer menu
option "View -> Field Shadings" option. With Microsoft OOXML files you
may have to click that a second time.

Hope this helps.

Dave