Documentation Team Meeting Minutes December 17th 2020 at 18:00 UTC.

Documentation Team Meeting Minutes December 17th 2020 at 18:00 UTC.

Presents: Bala Muthu, Dave Barton, Olivier

Telegram Channel
https://t.me/joinchat/ALeRuUFCxyZY0wzoddldWQ

Live TDF Jitsi Room
https://jitsi.documentfoundation.org/tdfdocteam

Completed items:

Pending items:
    + Change in workflow (DB)
    + Objective: rewrite/improve Calc Database functions Help (SF)
       + Update on database ranges
    + odtclean.py is not working any more on linux
    + Contributor guide
       + Needs reviews of Peter S on Chap 2.

News:

Topics and Discussion:

- Editorial on Calc Guide Chap 13. (Olivier)
   + Chap 13 describe several database function/features accessed thru
     macros
   + Macros are a necesssary evil to replace custom missing features
   + but not in this case, macros listed replace UI (Uno) commands
   + turns chapter hard to read, unecessary complexity
     + suggest to drop macros and review chap 13
     + suggest enhance DB functions description with good examples.
     + Suggest to reuse and adapt the contents in Chap 12 Macros (Dave)
     + Reuse DB functions contents from GSOD2020 (Steve Fanning, by mail)
        + Approved.

- Collecting images in Guides (Peter S.)
   + No need to be concerned with storage
   + Older files can be in archive folder and even deleted
     + Cleanup older Guide archive files (Dave)

- Our pt_BR experience with matecat.com for translating guides (Olivier)
   + comments, do's and don'ts
      + matecat.com (open source)
         + https://github.com/matecat/MateCat
      + Accept ODF files, preserve all formatting
      + Automatic translations, surprising hit rate and accuracy.
         + Can select industry area of source text
         + seems to borrow translation memory from public/open TM's
      + Nevertheless requires further review
         + spared 90% of the translation work
         + some funny mistakes though
         + Sometimes get confused with widget labels in sentence.
            + "OK" -> "All is good"
            + "Help" -> "Rescue"

- Contributor Guide (Dave)
   + Plan to get chap 1 update in wiki by next meeting (Dave)

Meeting ajourned

Next meeting : *THURSDAY* January 7th 2021 at 18:00 UTC.

Thanks for the minutes Olivier and I'm sorry that I couldn't attend the meeting to discuss the points below.

I note that the task to review / update Chapter 13 of the Calc Guide was approved by the meeting. Is the assumption that I will perform that review? If so, that's fine, but I don't want to step on anybody else's toes.

With regards to the suggestion about reusing and adapting the contents in Chapter 12, my gut felling is that Chapter 12 is already complex enough. It provides a reasonable introduction to LibreOffice Basic macros and goes on to provide more limited information about the other available scripting languages (BeanShell, JavaScript and Python). At the last issue, further information about working with VBA macros was added. I  think that's enough content in one chapter and we would probably be better off moving the more complex macros from Chapter 13 to some other location, away from the Calc Guide. Happy to discuss further if anybody has other views...

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the minutes Olivier and I'm sorry that I couldn't attend the
meeting to discuss the points below.

I note that the task to review / update Chapter 13 of the Calc Guide was
approved by the meeting. Is the assumption that I will perform that
review? If so, that's fine, but I don't want to step on anybody else's
toes.

Please be our guest and lead on the topic.

With regards to the suggestion about reusing and adapting the contents
in Chapter 12, my gut felling is that Chapter 12 is already complex
enough. It provides a reasonable introduction to LibreOffice Basic
macros and goes on to provide more limited information about the other
available scripting languages (BeanShell, JavaScript and Python). At the
last issue, further information about working with VBA macros was added.
I  think that's enough content in one chapter and we would probably be
better off moving the more complex macros from Chapter 13 to some other
location, away from the Calc Guide. Happy to discuss further if anybody
has other views...

I fully agree. +1

Seasons greeting
Olivier