REMIND: Documentation team call is today at 18:00 UTC

Hi Documentation Team (Guides, Help contents) !

Our documentation team meeting will take place today at 18:00 UTC

We will use the following jitsi meeting room

https://jitsi.documentfoundation.org/tdfdocteam

The meeting room is supposed to work will all browsers without the need
of a specific plugin. You can use a mobile app in your Android or Iphone.

The documentation pad for the meeting minute is

http://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/documentation

Main topics:

Please fill the topics you want to discuss in the pad.

- Editorial on Calc Guide Chap 13. (Olivier)
   + Chap 13 describe several database function/features accessed thru
macros
   + Macros are a necesssary evil to replace custom missing features
   + but not in this case, macros listed replace UI (Uno) commands
   + turns chapter hard to read, unecessary complexity
   + suggest to drop macros and review chap 13
   + suggest enhance DB functions description with good examples.

- collecting images in Guides (Peter S.)

Hi Olivier,

Unfortunately I cannot attend the meeting because of a prior commitment.

With regards to your proposals about "Editorial on Calc Guide Chap 13"; I agree wholeheartedly that the macros in this chapter are likely to be beyond the knowledge and interest of most readers. Also, as you are aware, I have done some work under the GSOD20 project to improve the information available about Calc's database functions and it might be good to include some of that material in the Calc Guide.

I would be happy to carry out, or participate in, a review and subsequent update of this chapter.

I would recommend that we don't lose the macro-related content completely but maybe we could find a home for it somewhere in the wiki.

Regards,

Steve

Hello Olivier

Need to know if we are going to store images on NextCloud and in what format. That is PNG and/or ODG format.
I take screenshots for user guides and use PNG format. Any editing is done in Draw and I save an ODG version of image as well as PNG format.

Chapter 2 of the Contributors’ Guide mentions storing images used. Whatever decision is made at the team meeting will appear in Chapter 2.

Do we have a limit on storage space on NextCloud? Images can consume storage space easily.

Not sure if I will be at the team meeting, but you know my thoughts.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Hello Peter

As far as I know there is no limit nor specific recommendations for
saving space. But of course resources have limits and costs. Good usage
is welcome.

That said, Nextcloud has an internal recycle bin mechanism that keep
deleted files in bin and start purging older bin contents when quota
approaches defined limits.

So you can take whatever screenshot you need and store in the best way
for the Guides.

Regards
Olivier

Hello Steve

Thanks for the offer, it is very appreciated.

I aimed precisely to reuse the work done in the GSOD20 project for the
situation.

Kind regards
Olivier