Getting started + working on the wiki?

Hi everyone,

I'm still working on getting started. Does anyone have advice on where an
editor should start? Potentially anything that needs to be rewritten? I'd
eventually like to write, but since I was an editor for 8+ years, I thought
editing/reviewing would be a better place for me to start.

I think I'm most interested in helping with the Wiki. Can someone tell me
where to start?

Thanks so much, and I apologize if these are questions with obvious answers.

Katie

Hi, Katie,

I, too, started with editing and reviewing. I have found it a great place
to learn the contribution workflow and Libre Office software in general.

I imagine you've followed along with the Getting Started
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/DocumentationTeamInfo/JoinDocTeam>
wiki?
If not, this page provides a great snapshot of how to get started
reviewing. For the guides, you'll want to get single sign-on access for
NextCloud, as this is where the bulk of the documentation is stored. Once
registered, I know that the Getting Started Guide is looking for
reviewers!

As for helping with the wiki, perhaps someone else has suggestions for
contributing?

Hopefully, this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Best,
Sam

Samantha Hamilton
darling docs

[image: darling docs logo] <https://darlingdocs.com/portfolio/> [image:
LinkedIn icon] <http://www.linkedin.com/in/shamilton-darlingdocs> [image:
Github icon] <https://github.com/samanthahamilton>

Thanks so much for your reply, Sam! I'm in the middle of reading the
Documentation Contributors' Guide, and I'm waiting on access to NextCloud.
Looking forward to helping out with the Getting Started Guide once I do!

I read here <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq> that more of the FAQ
needs to be translated from French—je parle assez bien le français, donc je
pourrais traduire quelques sections, si ça vous aiderait. Does anyone know
if I need NextCloud access to help with translating? If not, how can I
help?

Olivier mentioned that I could help with the Help contents if I have some
knowledge of programming, which I do. Could someone let me know how to
contribute?

(If these ought to be separate messages to the listserv, please let me
know!)

Thanks!
Katie

You don't need any special rights to edit the wiki stuff.

Back in June, I listed the remaining pages needing translation to English:
https://listarchives.tdf.io/i/kQK3S0AM6KuQViycHyueq4la

Some of these might already be translated after I sent my message.

As a particular note, I'm not sure if the Advisories article should be translated or deleted, because we have a page about security advisories on the libreoffice.org website.

I updated the French contents earlier to match updates in the user interface (except for screenshots).

The way it would go with the translation is that you:

1. Create the English page while removing the /fr suffix, like https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/Base/020
2. While adding the English paragraphs, make the structure correspond to the French text, so it will be easier to migrate the French over as translated strings later
3. While still editing the English page, finalise it by adding <translate> elements as described in https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF_Wiki/Multilingual#Content_with_global_focus
4. After saving the English page, mark the page for translation and wait 5-10 minutes for the wiki jobs to be run
5. Follow these instructions to migrate the French content into the new translation system: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF_Wiki/Multilingual#Migrating_old_translated_content_to_the_current_system

If needed, I can help via a call with screensharing.

Ilmari