Thesaurus for USA or UK English

Can anyone tell me if there is a thesaurus for LibreOffice in USA and/or UK English languages?

There is a function for a thesaurus in the Tools menu and there is a keyboard shortcut for a thesaurus.

If these functions are available then the thesaurus should be available.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Tools > Options > Language Settings > Writing Aids > Available language modules.  At the bottom of this list should be MyThes Thesaurus. It should be checked if you want to use LibreOffice's thesaurus for your language.

A language pack contains spell checking, hyphenation, thesaurus, and one more thing I have just forgotten. After installation of LO 7.0.1.x these can be found at libreoffice4/share/extensions/(your language)/.  In my case it is dict-en. This particular folder contains the files for several English languages, i.e., both UK and US.

Dan

Hello Dan

I have both UK and US English languages installed.
My Thes Thesaurus is selected in Tools > Options > Language Settings > Writing Aids.

The option Tools>Thesaurus is greyed out in Impress and I have just found out that Thesaurus is available in Writer.
I can only assume that the LO programmers assumed that Impress does not need a thesaurus. To me, that is an oversight and a thesaurus should be available.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Strange. this option is available on my version of LibreOffice (7.0.3.1 Debian) downloaded from the pre-release list. I also have installed 7.1.0.0 Alpha+ daily build (11-11-2020). It also has this option (Control+F7) available.

But I also noticed something. When I first opened a new presentation, Control+F7 was greyed out. Only when I Entered text in a box onto the first slide and then clicked on it, did this option become available. One of the words I entered was jumped. I was shown 20 synonyms of this word. Could this be your problem? Are you using a distribution other than Debian?

Dan

Either the auto-text or auto-correct files is the forgotten file.

For some languages, the language pack includes the help pages, and UI in
the target language.
For one or two languages, a grammar checker is also included in the
language pack.
Back in the days of OOo, the language pack of one of the Slavic
languages used to include a transliteration tool --- convert between the
Cyrillic and Latin writing systems.

On my Mac (running Catalina) with LO 7.0.3.1 and EN_US, on any slide
in a presentation, Tools > Thesaurus was greyed out until I clicked in
a text box (where it said "Click to add Text" or "Click to add
Title"). I didn't need to type anything to activate the thesaurus, but
of course the thesaurus dialog was empty until I typed something and
selected it (or placed the cursor in it).

Jean

Thanks Jean

Never thought about selecting text first before using the thesaurus.

Problem solved. Thesaurus is now working in Impress.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com