Getting Started Guide needs help

Several chapters have been updated and need review. Several other chapters
need to be updated and the reviewed. If you can help, please do. Thank you!

Jean

Yes. It does.:slight_smile: I can take a pass at review.

Hi. I was able to access Jean's GSG Writer version but could not find docs in WIP folder for 7.0 Writer?
Is this due to checkout? or where can I access the Writer Guide WIP to review.

Thanks.

Hi Marcia,

WIP (Work I Progress) is one of the folders in our NextCloud workspace.
If you have been given access to NextCloud, you can find Jean's WIP
files in this folder:
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/ocb9ASst8PAPkSC

If you do not have NextCloud access yet, please post a request to this list.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Dave

Hi Dave,

I had Jean's document.
What I need to know is whether the User Guide for each product is separate from this or not?
Do you reuse the Getting Started guide as the user guide for each product.

In that case, I would just take a pass at the Get Started Guide section for Writer.

If you have a separate, more "Comprehensive" user guide... then, I would do a diff... also.

Let me know.
Thanks

Hi Marcia,

My replies are in-line with the copy of your original message.

Hi Dave,

I had Jean's document.

Sorry, I don't know which document that would be.

What I need to know is whether the User Guide for each product is separate from this or not?

The "Getting Started with LibreOffice User Guide" is separate from the
user guides covering the individual modules of the software. Think of it
as an introductory overview of the whole LibreOffice software package.

The Getting started guide has an Introduction, 14 Chapters and 2 Appendices:
* Introduction
* Chapter 1 Introducing LibreOffice
* Chapter 2 Setting up LibreOffice
* Chapter 3 Using Styles and Templates
* Chapter 4 Getting Started with Writer
* Chapter 5 Getting Started with Calc
* Chapter 6 Getting Started with Impress
* Chapter 7 Getting Started with Draw
* Chapter 8 Getting Started with Base
* Chapter 9 Getting Started with Math
* Chapter 10 Printing, Exporting, Emailing and Signing Documents
* Chapter 11 Images and Graphics
* Chapter 12 Creating HTML Files
* Chapter 13 Getting Started with Macros
* Chapter 14 Customizing LibreOffice
* Appendix A Keyboard Shortcuts
* Appendix B Open Source, Open Standards, OpenDocument

Do you reuse the Getting Started guide as the user guide for each product.

The user guides for each module go into much greater depth and technical
detail than can be covered in the "Getting Started" guide. Obviously,
there is some duplication of information, but the module guides are
developed separately with some occasional references back to the
"Getting Started" guide where appropriate.

In that case, I would just take a pass at the Get Started Guide section for Writer.

Jean has already produced the first draft of chapter 4 and it is now in
the WIP folder:
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/JPAk9trnycXojyT

If you do choose to perform the first review of Chapter 4 please update
the guide status sheet:
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/9oxcjcKTjaNy2CW

If you should need any information about the new workflow, I have
updated Chapter 3 Using Docs Team Website of the "Contributors Guide".
A copy is available here:
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/c44MMXpJeLsyBiA
The equivalent wiki page is here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/DocumentationTeamInfo/UsingAuthorsWebsite
Note: The information on that page is correct, but I still have some
wiki formatting to finish off.

If you have a separate, more "Comprehensive" user guide... then, I would do a diff... also.

Let me know.
Thanks

Best Regards
Dave

Hello Marcia

Just to let you know that I shall be updating Chapter 6 Getting Started with Impress and Chapter 7 Getting Started with Draw for the Getting Started Guide 7.0. I am also updating the Impress and Draw User Guides to Version 7.0. Information from these two user guides will be used for the chapters in the Getting Started Guide.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Hello Dave

I have being going through Chapter 2 of the Contributors’ Guide and it definitely needs updating despite only being reviewed earlier this year.
The info is out of date when compared to LibreOffice 7.0.
This chapter has not been transferred to the latest template for user guides. The contributors’ guide should also use the same template as the user guides for consistency.
The way the chapter has been written provides a very confusing message. Any instructions or advice are not very clear or logical.
What are thoughts on these problems? I am updating this chapter and making a lot of changes to look similar to user guide.

I think the other chapters need a good once over so that we have a good contributors’ guide.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Thanks Peter and Dave. I see the inline comments.
I will take another look over the contrib guide too.

Hi Peter,

The fact is that the Contributors Guide has not been properly updated
from Jean's excellent original since we moved from ODF Authors to
NextCloud. There has been some "piecemeal" editing over the last couple
of years, which is why I now want to work with you and any of our other
long term contributors to produce an updated and accurate guide that
will be meaningful and useful for our new contributors.

I found the same confusing "Organized by a Committee" structure for
Chapter 3 that you have found with Chapter 2. In my current update of
Chapter 3 I simply edited what we already had, just to "get the job
done", but I will be returning to totally rewrite/restructure Chapter 3
ASAP.

I agree that the Contributor Guide should be formatted in the same way
as the user guides, even if some of the introductory content is not
really appropriate for an internal document like this. For consistency
we should apply the Version 7.x template to the Contributors Guide, but
the content of this guide has no relevance to version 7.0 of the software.

I propose that with the help of any other long term contributors, to
fully update and finalize *ALL* chapters of the Documentation
Contributors Guide

Best Regards
Dave

Marcia,
To help orient yourself with the various user guides, you might find
this wiki page useful. It lists all the books and their individual
chapters.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/WikiAction/submit/Documentation/Publications
Jean